I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spinning rods
Posted by: Tyler Bell (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: April 15, 2005 11:07PM

I was just wondering if I can use a fly rod blank to make a spinning rod if so what wieght Rod would be recommended for it.
Thank you
Tyler

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spinning rods
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2005 11:48PM

Tyler,
Your missing a bunch of info here. The short answer is yes, you can make spinning or casting rods from fly blanks. They will usually be slower actioned, lighter butted rod than a comparable spinning or casting blank however. What are you fishing for?

Date: April 15, 2005 11:55PM

Sorry about that I will be fishing for trout, bass,salmon.
I am looking for a rod that is about 8' or 9' long.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 16, 2005 12:18AM

If you held that blank in your hands, you'd probably know that "this is the right one for what I want" as soon as you got it. To order one is going to be a bit tough.

Is there anywhere near you that sells blanks where you could go play with some?

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2005 09:00AM

You may wish to take a look at a fast action salmon/steelhead blank. I think this would be more suitable for what you're doing and much better than using a fly rod blank. These are routinely in the 8' to 9' lengths you desire.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 09:22AM

In the past I have had orders for two for casting to Speckle Trout on the Outer Banks, NC. Made one out of a 10wt,9',2pc and the other out of a 12wt,9',2pc. both were using Penn 4300ss reels with 2ib test mono. Jesse

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: April 16, 2005 11:14AM

The Rainshadow IST 993F would be a good place to start looking. Especially if you throw a lot of spinners and spoons.

Posted by: Joe Doyle (---.plsntv01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 07:12PM

Tyler,

here is a link to a topic from December that spoke about this same issue. i actually bought my guides and handle today, and will start assembling my rod tomorrow. i'm using a forecast 9' 7wt blank, that i cut 2" off of the tip, and 4" off of the butt. i'm using the new concept system that is referenced in the "library" section of this website. my guides are 25, 20, 16, 12, 10 (all high frames), and then 10, 7,7,7, 7 tip, which are all single foot alconites.

good luck.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: April 16, 2005 09:48PM

Thank you all for the help. I think I am just going to buy a spin blank and build it on that.
Thanks again for the help
Tyler

Posted by: John Dow (---.236.252.64.snet.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 11:30PM

I get some requests for long "limber" spinning rods from guys that fish for trout in ponds with flies and bubbles . I have built 2 of them from 5wt 8'6" fly blanks , and the guys using them like them alot .
Have fun , John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Bill Wong (131.104.144.---)
Date: April 18, 2005 06:52PM

Have built a light panfish spinning rod from a 7 1/2 ft., 4 weight, 2 piece, Loomis GL3 fly rod blank and I love it. Good action and can really feel the fight of smaller fish with it. Even landed a few 16-17 inch smallmouths; big thrills! Recently bought a steelhead drift rod for spinning built from a 9 ft., 7-8 weight, 3 piece, Sage fly rod blank. Casts medium weight spinners and spoons a mile and should work well for bottom drifting roe bags.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster