I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tragedy at the lake :(
Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: April 15, 2005 11:33PM

This evening I was making my way down to the lake to get into some hot and heavy hybrid striped bass action when I took a misstep on the rocks, fell and broke the tip off my just finished FT 908 :( I have had a chance to fish the rod some and really love it. I guess the rebuild will just make me a better builder. This is the first rod I've broken, guess it had to happen sometime. Just wanted to sob in a public forum. I did have my 6 wt XT-51 in the car. After stringing it up I did manage to catch half a dozen nice fish. Thanks for listening,

Peter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tragedy at the lake :(
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.87.165.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 15, 2005 11:47PM

You broke your rod instead of your arm?? Rifle or rod, you protect you weapon at all costs. In days of old you would be taken behind the woodshed for such an offense!

Sorry for the loss but you are right. It gives you the opportunity to repair a rod you love. Remember the feeling if someone asks you to repair something that they broke. Sentiment can be a powerful thing.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.150.83.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 05:07AM

Be brave !!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 05:46AM

Built a Beautiful 7 1/2 foot spinning rod a friend and I went out to catch a few flounder, when we were coming home he slammed 8 inches in the tailgate! made a real good striper chunkin rod

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: April 16, 2005 10:21AM

New girlfriends, car doors and fishing rods don't mix very well. I just about took myself behind the woodshed for that one but she went with me! :P

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Marc Forrest (66.241.91.---)
Date: April 16, 2005 02:05PM

Peter,

sorry for your mishap...

maybe you can order a new tip from Dan?

just a bit of work and you're back fishing!

cheers,

tws

Tradgedy on the way to the pond
Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 06:06PM

I feel your pain. Getting into the Jeep last evening for a quick trip to the local pond for some bream fishing, my son somehow caught the tip of my favorite 3wt - Lamiglass Appalachian Traveler - under his foot. Broke it just above the ferrule (: We need an emotioncon for a grown man crying. Just like you said, more experience wrapping.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 09:13AM

A mate I sold a 7' Saphire blue CTS spinning rod to contacted me a couple of weeks ago with a similar story with his rod. He'd been spinning just on dusk with a surface popper. A hawk has swooped and picked up the popper. Once the hawk has realised his prey just wasn't quite right, he dropped the popper into a very high river gum. My friend, not wanting to force the popper out of the tree, walked around and tried to flick the lure off the branches. In doing this he trod on a round piece of branch hidden in the long grass. He thought it was a snake, jumped backwards, tripped and landed on his new rod just forward of the stripper guide. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out the rest. I have just about finished his replacement and could only save the guides off the original.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.jcu.edu.au)
Date: May 04, 2005 09:50AM

Hit a rock point Monday morning to take advantage of low light, good tide and calm conditions. Had a ball on little queenfish and barracuda on my SB 720-4, then slipped while landing the last fish. Tip section shattered into 4 pieces, male ferrule completely snapped off the butt section. Middle two scratched but structurally sound as far as I can tell. Labour of love lost from avoiding handlining a fish up the rocks with a shredded bite leader.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster