I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New RodMaker issue
Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: April 15, 2005 01:36PM

I got the new issue yesterday. Great Tom Dorsey interview!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New RodMaker issue
Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: April 15, 2005 01:53PM

Mine was waiting on me when I got home last night. My wife said that she knew there was no use in having me do anything on the house last night because I'd be in the basement shop reading Rodmaker! I've never been disappointed in an issue. Always something new in there. As good as the message boards are they don't begin to touch the magazine for rod building information. I can't imagine building rods and not getting this magazine. I'd be lost and stuck doing the same old same old on every rod.

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dialup.netins.net)
Date: April 15, 2005 04:44PM

Think I just stared at the cover photo for 10 minutes before even openning the magazine...

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2005 08:18PM

This is a sad commentary... I'm still looking forward to centerfold magazine photos!

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.87.165.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 15, 2005 08:43PM

Ken, what is even sadder is that I was too stupid to notice that the last issue I received was my last one until this evening! Now I have to wait even longer to get my mitts on an issue that I really was looking forward to!

During the time I was sitting on the couch yelling, Noooooooo! Nooooooooo!, my wife muttered something about a moron and went shopping.

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dyn.avci.net)
Date: April 15, 2005 08:46PM

Mine was laying on my chair when I got home from some field work.

I began to read it immediately and when I showed my wife the article on the spiral wrap, she said, "That's just like the one you made a couple of months ago." "Yep", I said. "This guy somehow got hold of my idea. But that's OK."

Actually it was good to see the validation of my own nearly identical design for my first spiral rod.

Another great issue Tom. Thanks.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2005 10:06PM

Definitley has some beautiful pics in this issue. I think the people who took the pics must have spent almost as much time taking the pictures as they did building the rod. Either that or they live somewhere very scenic to begin with.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.41.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 09:02AM

I'm going to miss this issue. Boo Hoo
Is it possible to get any info on the spiral wrap??

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 16, 2005 10:54AM

Bill Boetcher - Order this issue of RMM-8(2) as a back issue. If that represents a hardship, and you want some information on Colby's spiral wrap article, then re-visit the long and vigorous discussion of this Bumper System (that you were also involved in) back in the Thread, "Spiral Wrap, which method is better?" by Jim Rippe, from March 4, 2005. [www.rodbuilding.org]

The Bumper System is a 0, 90, 180 degrees (or 360, 270, 180) layout. There are 2 pages of text to the article, with 2 photographs and 2 diagrams depicting the guide placement. -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-

Date: April 16, 2005 11:02AM

Cliff
I just thought there was a magical thing to it ? What I am hearing , I'll stick to the O'Quinn way.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 12:30PM

Bill - Nothing magical!
Just an application of simple logic that gives similar performance with a much less complicated effort. If you like the appearance of the O"Quinn method you lose that in the Colby method but you won't lose any of the positive effect of a spiral wrap. If efficiency of effort is your top criteria than the Colby method appears to be the way to go.
Stan

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Date: April 16, 2005 01:09PM

All I really beleve in is that I like the line to be of the streightest path. I am not strick on Ralph's way to do it, I adjust his way. I let the line tell me where the guides go, weather it be two guides or four guides.
I find that with the reel on and a line from it to the tip, the line shows me . Then of course adjust under pressure. Now if your not going to cast, we are talking a different animal.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2005 07:15PM

No, it's not 0, 90 and 180. Not quite anyway - the difference is that the 90 degree guide on this system does not redirect the line in any way. It's an addition to, rather than part of, the rest of the guide set-up. I do it without the 90 degree guide, Bill uses one just to keep the line from touching the blank. But if you set it up the way he shows, it does nothing in the way of controlling or directing the line as on other spiral wrap methods.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 08:48AM

Tom
Do you find that there is a " max " distance where if gone beyond the line starts to to flop and touch the blank? I usually try to keep it about no more then 10-12".
Thanks

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2005 10:31PM

No, not really. Because the bumper guide is an addition to, rather than part of the regular guide set up, the distance between the first and second (not the bumper) guide should not be far enough to allow the line to touch. I would think that on most rods, save for perhaps longer surf rods, you'd never have more than 10 to 12 inches between your first two guides, and the bumper would go between them. So you're certainly in the ballpark on that observation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster