I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metal Burnisher?
Posted by: Jerry Christopher (216.115.176.---)
Date: April 14, 2005 09:09AM

Anyone use a metal burnishing tool (vs plastic/nylon) are there any benefits?

Also WHERE can I get one, or two, looked around most of the morning with no luck. Even checked (shudder) Mudhole where I pretty much refuse to shop...

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metal Burnisher?
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: April 14, 2005 09:17AM

I use the round part of a steel crab fork or the lid of a zippo lighter. Occasionally a polished rock my wife has. Never used one of the commercial plastic tools so I can't say if metal is better or worse.

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 14, 2005 09:25AM

Check out Golden Witch .They were carrying a metal one in their catalog.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2005 11:20AM

I just use a piece of 3/16" Brass bar tapered to a rounded point. You can pick a peice of brass bar up at a hardware store, cut it to lenth with a hack saw , chuck in a drill and file and sand it down to a blunt point. (Looks kind of like a chop stick.)

I did mine on a lathe and it only took 5 minutes or so. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes with a drill.

Mark

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 14, 2005 01:20PM

I use a metal spatula from my days as a laboratory chemist. Very smoth with well-rounded edges and corners. Works well for me. I use hte same spatula to apply epoxy.

Posted by: Arthur Mayfield (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: April 14, 2005 05:49PM

The best and cheapest I've seen are the clay sculptor's tools in the art department of any of several local craft stores. They come with numerous different tip shapes of polished stainless steel, double-ended in wooden handles, and cost less than $3 each. I found them near the paint brushes and pallet knives.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 14, 2005 09:20PM

I use an extra xacto knife handle that I epoxied the end of one of those picks that women use to frost hair. On one end it has what looks like a miniature crocet needle and the other has an @ 1" widw slatula. I cut it in half and mounted the spatula end to use as a burnishing/packing tool. The other end I mounted in the end of a short piece of dowell to pull tag ends through the tie off loop. Works Great!!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Jim Morris (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: April 15, 2005 04:05PM

Jerry, I use a thick chromed needle (I think it is a wool darning needle). It is about 3 to 4 inches long with a rounded point and about as thich as a ballpoint insert in diameter. Dead cheap, but works beautifully - quality chrome will never burr (even silk) however hard you rub or pack those threads. I've used mine for years. Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster