I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help w/ blank selection
Posted by: Jeff Robinson (209.74.42.---)
Date: April 13, 2005 08:57PM

I'm planning my next rod, it will be the 7th I've built. It will be my most heavily used rod.

When trying to research different blanks I have a difficult time comparing apples to apples.

How important is the amount modulus? Is there some specific info I should be looking for to evaluate the blanks.

What exactly is IM6, IM7.... I want a rod that is an excellent value. I don't want to pay for a big name blank unless it

really out performs the others. I do own a Sage and a Loomis and they fish great, but I'm not sure how much they out perform my generic IM6 blank.

Any recomendations? I hear alot about Dan Craft and Gatti????

I fish primarily small - medium Pennslyvania streams, 12 months a year. I probably fish nymphs most often, but also drys and streamers. Although I seldom use a strike
indicator, I often put alot of weight on to get to the bottom when conditions require it. This will replace a 9' ,4 wt, 4 piece rod with a fast action.

I am inclined to stay with that configuration, unless something else makes better sence.

Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help w/ blank selection
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 10:44PM

What you do with the graphite is more important than what it is. I'd add the Lamiglas Appalachian blanks on your list. The downside to the high performance blanks is that they don't take being smacked with lead or flies well. There were some posts from just a few days ago, that have some info that will help you.

Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: April 14, 2005 08:11AM

Put Dan Craft on the list. Great performance for the money.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.205.202.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2005 11:39AM

Search 4,500 rod blanks with our rod blank search engine at:
[shop.mudhole.com]

A quick search showed about 35 blanks that fit your needs.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: April 14, 2005 12:48PM

If you're looking for a fast action blank, you might want to check out the CCS data site and look at the results for the Amtak Matrix series blanks. I've built one, a fast 4 weight and have two more in the queue, a 5 weight and an 8 weight, both quite fast. The Rainshadow RX7+ and RX8+ are also fairly fast blanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster