I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hook holder on spey rod
Posted by: Rich Meumann (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 06:14PM

Q. Is it proper to add a hook holder to a 13 foot spey rod?

Q. Do most spey rods have hook holders?

Info: I'm building a 13 foot four piece 8wt. spey rod and have no pictures of spey rod handles with hook holders. However, a hook holder came with the spey rod kit.

Thanks
Rich Meumann

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hook holder on spey rod
Posted by: John Dow (---.214.252.64.snet.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 08:35PM

Rich , it's your rod , if you want one on , put it on . I don't see how the hook keeper will effect the function of the rod , if that is your concern. If you are thinking that it's going to interfere in the line during the casting stroke , you can always offset it to one side or the other . If the kit was from H&H , Bob always puts one in the bag . Personaly , I'm not putting one on the spey rod I'm building for myself , I don't see a use for it .
Have fun , JHD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Al McClure (---.vf.shawcable.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 08:36PM

I own four spey rods and all of them have hook holders. Use a larger size holder if you intend to fish with steelhead flies.

Posted by: Marko A Arhagen (---.telenor.se)
Date: April 14, 2005 02:34AM

I never put hook holder on a flyrod, its to easy to get the flyline tangeled up in it when shooting line, And the flyline easily gets dammaged.
I use the the first or second stripper to attache the fly and the tippet go around the flyreel. as a bonus you always have a bit of the line outside of the tipp.

Posted by: Al McClure (---.vf.shawcable.net)
Date: April 14, 2005 12:49PM

Man, what size hook-keeper are you using? I've flyfished for forty years and have managed to catch lines and flies around trees, trucks , my buddie's head as well as my own, and on one memorable occasion my ear, but I have never once managed to get tangled around a hook-keeper while shooting line or any other time for that matter.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: April 14, 2005 05:18PM

I've heard people say they never put hookkeepers on fly rods, but I've never understood why. I have them on all my fly rods and I have way too many. I sometimes use the stripper guide-reel handle technique but only when using leaders longer than the rod. I fish with a very light drag and too often the line falls off the handle. Like Al, I've tangled line on just about everything in sight in 40+ years of flyfishing, including the butt of the rod, but never once on the hookkeeper, not even on the Fuji folding ones. Unless, of course, you count the time when I threaded the line through it when I was a kid and didn't know any better.

Posted by: Steven Perakis (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 05:48PM

Depending on the balance point of your rod-n-reel, it is sometimes necessary to hold a rod half-way on the cork and half-way on the blank over the course of a long day to avoid arm fatigue. A hook holder gets in the way of that.

Better still, make sure that an appropriate reel balances the finished rod, or build the rod to accomodate a favored reel for good balance, choosing up vs down lock, rubber cork as needed, etc

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster