I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

DAN CRAFT SIG V
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-59-60rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 12:38PM

dan has a 3 pc sig 5 8'4". the ERN is 4.6. has anyone had any experience fishing this rod? i have a friend who wants me to build him a "fast to mod fast" 4wt for indicator nymph fishing.
while the length is somewhat short he did specify 8.5 feet. i have looked into the FT but don't think that is going to be right for him.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DAN CRAFT SIG V
Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.arlngt01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 12:56PM

Personally I find that rod to be a 3 weight at distances more than about 30'. I would consider another option from Dan if you are looking for a nymphing rod. The 844-3 is a great little trout rod, but I feel that it is more comfortable as a spring creek rod than a heavy water/big fly stick.

The 8'9" 4wt V would match better as it has a bit more backbone for turning over indicator rigs and the length helps in managing line on the water.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: April 13, 2005 01:03PM

I think Scott just gave you outstanding advice. I have use both blanks.

Posted by: keith tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: April 13, 2005 01:46PM

Larry,

the 8'4 3/4 is an incredible blank.....Absolutely my favorite. It is light, yet powerful....but remains sensitive. I find it perfect. It just thinks for me when we toss a line.

I also find it a perfect 4 wt.....is great up close and way out there.

I fish mine with dries, streamers, bead heads....etc. Even tie on an indicator now and then. It certainly does all that for me...and more.

I don't think it can be beat.

Keith

Date: April 13, 2005 02:26PM

Larry, one more thing to consider is how good a caster your friend is and how likely he is to repeatedly hit the blank with split shot. The Sig. IV and Sig. V are wonderful blanks - light, crisp, efficient - but I do not put them high on the list of durable blanks. They have very thin walls and are not well-suited for people who don't treat their tackle well or who can't adjust their loops to avoid smacking the blank with lead.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: April 13, 2005 02:27PM

9 out of ten doctors recommend the Sig V 8'-4" fished with a 4 weight line! just kidding. mine felt great, but i have yet to fish it. i used a rio selective trout WF4F line. i built it on the single foot wire guides per dan's recommendation. <<i>> thought i was casting much better with it than my other rod(s), nice, tight loops. and i'm not a very good caster. ;-)

why don't you think the FT isn't right for your friend? admittingly. i'm new to this. when i hear fast action rod, i think it's wrong for me, not my style, choosing medium or medium fast. and FTs are often called fast rods. but the FTs i test cast over the weekend, not only were wrapped very well with adornments like jungle cock feathers, but had interesting tip section actions, moderate action. it was a very positive surprise.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: April 13, 2005 02:33PM

Eric, if you cast a 10' model, yes they are moderate action with AAs mostly around low 60s. If you cast an 8'6" or 9' model, those are all fast with AAs of at least 74, the highest of any series of fly blanks I'm aware of.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: April 13, 2005 02:44PM

i'm pretty sure i was casting 9 footers. there was an 8-6 in the 3 weight too, but i don't want to talk about that one...

eric

Date: April 13, 2005 02:49PM

Interesting. Eric, you are the first person I've heard describe the 9' FT models as moderate action. On the numeric AA scale they are almost off the chart fast, especially compared to other fly blanks. Why don't you want to talk about the 863? That last comment seems like a tease - come on, spill it! : )

Steve

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 03:00PM

I fish an FT 9', 5# of Dan Craft's that is one of the best I have found for nymphing with beadheads and an indicator. It is I believe less fragile and better suited to this type of fishing than the very good Sig V line.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.16.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 04:47PM

well actually steve, i don't consider the FT moderate. i would consider it a fast blank. i know it seems like i'm contradicting myself, but it was the tip that had the unusual feel to it. whippier? that was what i meant by moderate. it seems to be a unique blend of a fast rod but the potential for some somewhat delicate action at the tip. i might be completely off here. when you're just learning, experience with a wide range of rods and vocabulary is always a problem ;-) i wouldn't put it anywhere near my rainforest 7'-9" 3 weight of course :-) THAT rod is whippy as heck. but i was expecting the FT to be FAST. or stiff. know what i mean?

i must add, i don't fish streamers. rarely nymphs; on occasion i've been known to pitch a weighted nymph or two but 98% of the time i fish dry flies sizes 12-20 in pocketwater/freestone streams and small rivers for wild rainbow,brook and brown trout rarely over 15 inches.

eric
fresno,ca

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.218.---)
Date: April 13, 2005 05:29PM

My 6wt 9' FT is a Rocket !! I am completly satisfied with its performance .................believe the hype!

Got Fish ?

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: April 14, 2005 01:09AM

thanks a lot for the input. i will let him make his choice.

Posted by: Steve Hocevar (139.48.100.---)
Date: April 14, 2005 09:25AM

I just built an FT 863-4 and I love it. I was nymphing with it the other day, Two wire San Juan Worms with a dropper nymph of various flavours. I could cast it a mile. A lot farther then I should because if you cast it to far, you can't give it a proper mend. I could cast it farther then my current DragonFly 6wt rod (mind you, DragonFly isn't top of the line).

And guess what happened? I hooked into and landed a 23inch Rainbow (the second one I caught on it. Had another 23incher the week before. Yes, I carry a tape measure.). That 3wt handled it without a problem. Probably because it has a lot of backbone? I put the guides *on* the spline for that extra fight.

I liken the Fast action to a sling shot. Give it a flick and let the line shoot through your hands.

Its light, I can cast it far (and all day) and it can land the big ones. Have I mentioned that I *love* it? :-)

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: April 14, 2005 03:34PM

Does Dan make a two weight in 6'6 or 7 ft or could I use the ONE?

And for you members of the ONE club- I was thinking of putting together a ONE, how much different is it then the 2 weights Dan makes? Also I usually fish fairly small streams for fish in the 12-20 range mostly, would the ONE handle this. I fish tight quarters and I have a tendancy to smack a few trees while still magically maintaining the ability to catch fish! Ya ever tried to land a 127 yr old black walnut, it's not easy!

Posted by: Aaron Brown (---.ded.ameritech.net)
Date: April 23, 2005 11:33PM

I have an 8'9" Sig V in 4wt. I really like this stick. I would call it fast, but perhaps I don't really know. I use it to nymph, and toss dries too. I have had some trouble keeping it together, but that is my problem. Drift boats are hard on rods. Dan is very easy to work with in regards to broken sections, so that works out well too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster