I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need recommendation on a blank for a child
Posted by: Clay Robinson (216.79.112.---)
Date: April 13, 2005 10:09AM

I want to build a rod for my 5-year old and need some help in locating a blank that would fit her. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need recommendation on a blank for a child
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: April 13, 2005 10:17AM

My 5 year old daugher has a 4' rod I made out of the top half of a fiberglass fly rod. She uses it with a Zebco spincast reel. She also has a Tiger Eye 6' 2/3 wt. fly rod that she uses with a Pflueger 1492. I just made my 5-year old nephew a 6' spin/fly combo rod with an old Philipson sliding aluminum seat. Blank was a blem that has an ERN of about 5.0 - good for panfish. Those Forecast 5' fiberglass spinning blanks look like good options for kids rods. Inexpensive and probably tough. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 13, 2005 11:15AM

Five-year olds grow up fast! I have nine grandchildren, some just went through that age or are approaching it. I took inexpensive 6' blanks, cut 6" off the butts and built 5'6" rods for them. They are just fine, and will be just fine for certain applications even when they are older and when I've built them longer rods.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 13, 2005 12:22PM

Clay - Take a look at some good & interesting advice that a bunch of people sent to Ken Blevins for his 6 year old grandson back around Dec. 12th, 2004. Mick McComesky has some specific advice in there.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[http://www.rodbuilding.org/read.php?2,125087,125099#msg-125099]

Short, soft rods with small diameter reel seats & grips are the general rule, IMO. -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-

Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 13, 2005 07:28PM

I built a rod for my grandson, then 4 1/2 years old, last Fall using the Tiger Eye 6' 2/3 blank. It was a little big then, but this Spring he's grown into it. is a serious fly rod, not a toy, and it is a rod that he can use now and many years from now. I fished it one afternoon, and I'm making one for myself. Perfect for small, brushy creeks.

Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: April 13, 2005 07:29PM

Check out Rainshadow/Forecast on the left sponsor column. They have some nice glass rods made by forecast.

David Banaka

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster