I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mooching rod guide selection
Posted by: Gil Markham (---.haydrian.com)
Date: April 11, 2005 10:35PM

I'm planning on building my first mooching rod and am unsure what type of guides (Casting vs. All-Purpose V) and sizes would be best.

Currently I've selected a G.Loomis GL2 SA1265 10'6" blank and plan to use it with a mooching reel so the guides will be on the bottom. Also I plan on building it with a Canadian style handle with the reel seat much closer to the butt of the rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mooching rod guide selection
Posted by: Steve Parsons (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2005 10:45PM

I think you should describe what reel your planning on using. There are a lot of reels for mooching, and the size of the spool would make a big difference in the first couple of guides on the rod. Are you looking at an Alvey that twists sideways to cast (do they still make those), Shimano, Islander? The 1265 is a stout stick, so I assume your going after some big kings.

Posted by: Gil Markham (---.haydrian.com)
Date: April 11, 2005 11:03PM

I'm planning on using an Islander ARMR2 on this rod.

I have two 1265s that I bought pre-built that we use for both mooching and off the downrigger in the Straights and off of West Vancouver Island. After using them for about a year I don't think I'd be happy salmon fishing with anything else (famous last words...), the problem I have with the current two is that they have trigger reel seats and they're positioned pretty high up the blank. I know where I can purchase a 1265 with the handle configuration that I want but I have a friend that got into rod building recently (with decent results on fly rods) and he's convinced me that I should build my own (with his help).

Posted by: Joe Milligan (---.nas9.tucson1.az.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 10:56AM

You should call Andy Snedden at Rodbuilders Supply - a sponsor to the left. He helped me with similar rods using the MR2 Islander Mooching reel. He fishes Vancouver Island and mooches and uses a downrigger. His prices are competitive and he is always there to answer your questions including guide choice and spacing recommendations.

Joe Milligan
Seattle

Posted by: Steve Parsons (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2005 11:34PM

Well, I don't think you can build just one Gil. There's a lot of ways to put it together, and it doesn't have to be V guides vs casting guides. You can mix them up and I probably would. I use Shimano Bantams and Penn109's. It must be fun with that Islander when you let the line out & get slack lined. I haven't built the rod you've described, but I always start with the handle design and where the reel will sit. The critical point is the first guide, and I would use an all purpose spinning V size 20-25 to start with, I don't think you'd want to go bigger than that with the mooching reel. The spinning guide will sit out further from the blank than a casting guide. You may want to visit the library here and research the concept system as Tom Kirkman has presented it. The general idea will give you ideas on where you want to go. I have the Loomis 1265 and use single foot fly guides on the last 2-3 feet towards the tip. I also have a couple of Rainshadows. You'll want to build a couple of those after you're done with the Loomis. lol. As Joe said, Andy Snedden is a good resource, as is Anglers Workshop. Have fun.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster