I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide is loose ...how to fix??
Posted by: Steve Kindschuh (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: April 10, 2005 09:01AM

I have a spinning rod that is about 8 years old. It's a catfishing rod I built for my wife on a 8 1/2 ft 2pc lamiglass e-glass blank. I used double foot guides for the first 3 guides ,for more backbone, and single foot guides for the rest. Yesterday I noticed one of the single foot guides was loose. I put finish 1/8 inch past on both ends of the guide and also used CP on the wraps. What could cause this and is there an easy fix without having to rewrap the guide?? I tried a search and came up with nothing. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide is loose ...how to fix??
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 10, 2005 09:06AM

You won't obtain more backbone by adding heavier guides - you'll actually soften the rod in that area due to extra weight. But, to answer your specific question, single foot guides get a ton of abuse. I would rewrap it and I would use the Forhan Locking Wrap as outlined in the online library page here on this site. That will ensure that it will never come loose again.

Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.region6.ang.af.mil)
Date: April 10, 2005 10:23AM

I concur, the Forhan wrap works for me....

Good Wrappin !
David A. Fuller,
Great Basin Fishing Rods
Full-Time RV'r Traveling- n- Fishing
www.mytripjournal.com/FullersBigAdventure

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: April 10, 2005 10:41AM

Steve, I don't think there is a quick fix for this, at least nothing I would be comfortable doing. Bite the bullet and rewrap it. You'll be happier down the road. I would also give the rest of the guides a real good check. Get ahold of them and really try to move them. Try to make them fail. Might save you some time later on. As to why it happened, it's hard to say. You may not have used enough thread tension, the guide feet tunnels may not have been filled in enough, it may have been stepped on or smacked against a rock, a combination of all, etc. As Tom said, definitely go with the Forhan wrap. I use it on all single foot guides no matter what the size or application. If you and your wife are like me, your cat rods get put through the ringer more than any other rods. Every little bit helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster