I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod building/builders.
Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 10, 2005 04:44AM

i have been checking out this site for about 4+ months now,this is my first time posting as a member. i have been at building for less than a year and have found some very helpfull info here.thanks to all who ask and give the answers.i have read alot of the posts on many subjects here,learning as i go.i am sure there will be many questions to come.thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod building/builders.
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: April 10, 2005 05:44AM

Welcome aboard Ken. Your comments reminded me of a trip I once took to Chichen Itza to view the Mayan ruins. The tour guide was giving us the nickel tour and I told him that he sure did know a lot about Mayan history. He turned to me and said, "What I don't know I make up." So, we may not know everything about rod building, but what we don't know we'll make up.
Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: April 10, 2005 09:35AM

AND if what we make up is wrong - some one will correct us

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 10, 2005 10:42AM

lol,, yep i am making them up as i go. just kidding.i have done lots of reading first.i have alot of new rods due to this new hobbie.i actually sold a few to my fishing buddies for enough to pay for a new rodsmith wraper.i would like to sell a few more but i have had this problem of wanting to fish with them instead.i have been trying a few blank companies out.forecast make some nice stuff for the price.i have built and fished with their rod, i made 3 steelhead rods 8' 6" 8 to 17 lb. rated and 2 salmon rods 8'6" 12 to 25 lb. rated with forecast blanks.i like them alot.they have been straight and strong.as i have read on here.i too have had problems with cork both price and being able to get it when i need it..i have been using the burl cork on the last few. though it is a little heavy it is a nice product.on one rod i needed to build for a fishing trip.i didn't have enough of either so i used all the scrap pieces of burl that i had. i needed a 8'6" bait casting rod for steelhead. so i did a split rear grip on a rainforest 8-12 lb rated blank.i know its not a new idea but i did it differently than i have seen most done.i really liked how it fished and looked.i have made a few that way since then.a month ago.now all i need to do is learn all the detailed wraps.like i have seen on the picture site.dang such neet work.also the worst is having bubbles come out in the flex coat.i have tried so many of the tips,i have seen and read but perfecting it may take a little time.some come out so nice and just when i think i figured it out .some come out with micro bubbles that you only see in the sunlight.it makes me so bummed.i get frustrated and want to give up. especially after spending so much time on a nice wrap.can you only post pix. on the picture site or can you post them here too?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: April 10, 2005 10:52AM

Its almost like doing auto body work, there was a saying of - I have done so much - with so little - for so long - that now I can do everything with nothing LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2005 10:56AM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster