I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Inlaying a photo question................
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 09, 2005 12:43AM

I'm building a rod for my neice. She gave me a photo of herself that has been shrunk and made into a sticker. I'd like to inlay this on her rod. Would I cover it with a couple coats of CP, then PermaGloss, or Krylon Crystal Clear then PermaGloss? Any suggestios or thoughts? Has anyone done this before?

Bill in WV

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inlaying a photo question................
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 01:45AM

If you have any doubts, cover with CP and then finish. Better to be safe than sorry. If you don't know the medium that you are dealing with, don't take chances. I've had a lot of stuff ruined by finish. I've rarely had anything ruined by CP.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 09, 2005 08:05AM

Find out if she has the original or copies of that picture before you do anything.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 09, 2005 08:40AM

Depending on what the sticker is made of, it may not tolerate CP. As Tom said, determine whether the sticker can be re-created if your attempts don't work. Here's a thought, consider mounting the sticker then hit it with short bursts of Krylon Fixative, very light on the first coat. Then a second coat, more if necessary. This coating may protect the sticker from the application of epoxy. It would be great though if you had multiple copies of the sticker so you could practice on a separate blank section.

Good Luck,
Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2005 08:59AM

I would hit it with Krylon Artists' Fixitive or Matte Finish (front and back) and then adhere it to the rod and coat with color preserver. Epoxy will be your best bet for an overcoat as the thicker depth will help cover the photo edges with less work.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 09:06AM

I have been inlaying/encapsulating photos since the early 80's and it's best to test it if it's not photo grade paper. The slick finish of a photo presents no problems but a course or paper finish will absorb the finish and turn dark. Normally I'll trim the photo in an oval or circle and super glue it in place then give it several coats of finish or fill the mold if encapsulating. Jesse

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: April 09, 2005 10:29AM

I third the Krylon spray. I'd not want to take the chance of using CP.

Jay

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: April 09, 2005 10:35AM

On a side note, make sure you spray the Krylon Fixative outside or in a VERY well vented room. It has a strong odor that lasts quite a while and can cause health problems if you inhale too much. My wife will not let that stuff in the house (I used it extensively for years in my Commercial art buisness)

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 09, 2005 10:50AM

I second what Mark said. My wife gets migraines from any hydrocarbon odor nearly immediately. I have to be ultra careful in the home and I think that this is a good idea, anyhow, for our own health. Spray on the Krylon outside!

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: April 09, 2005 07:17PM

I do have "limited" spares of the picture sticker. It is on photo paper as these are her professionally done school pictures. Are the Krylon fixative, and Chrystal Clear the same? Jessy, they are already trimmed to shape @ 1" tall by 5/8" wide. Thanks for all the help!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 09, 2005 07:33PM

In my response I recommended Krylon, likely because that is the brand most people talk about. The brand I tried on gel pen inscriptions and use for treating some feathers during fly tying is PLAID "Patricia Nimocks" Clear Acrylic Sealer, Gloss. I don't know how this product compares to the Krylon product recommended here on the board. The label says "Durable, clear coating. Seals prints. Use over paint, lacquer, and varnish. Use as a sealer on bisque and stain-finished ceramics. Preserve maps, documents, prints, etc. Use as a pastel fixative or over antiquing glazes and stains." Does have inhalation warnings.

Good luck,
Jeff Shafer

Date: April 09, 2005 09:40PM

Sounds to be similar to Krylon Crystal Clear, it said the same thing almost word for word. Thanks guy's I knew someone would have the answer!!

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster