I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

getting ready to try building
Posted by: Ralph Ratliff (---.aep.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 08:04PM

I have been reading posts on this board for a while and I'm ready to start practising. I have decided to use Fuji new concept guides and positioning concepts on a StCruix 2S66MLF blank.

I want to get a 'cheapie' blank to practise on. Can I use a less expensive guide than the Fuji and still get some of the mistakes out of the way? I plan to use Flex Coat lite over NCP thread.

Thanks,

Ralph

Options: ReplyQuote
Good way to practice...
Posted by: Mike Moore (---.snvacaid.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 08:20PM

...is to take apart an old cheapie rod you have laying around......we all have at LEAST one of these. I used to have several....but they got 'sperimented' on! LOL

Go ahead and cut the guides off ( you should know how to do this anyway), and then practice wrapping them back on....and 'speriment' with finishing. I guarantee you will not get the finish right the first time.

Re: getting ready to try building
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 08:20PM

Welcome! Take your time! A better choice of words would be a top quality blank for an affordable price - this could easily get you in the mid thirty dollar range. Try out some Forecast or Amtak guides in hardloy ring for the trial run. You may find when you get through that you will have a fine rod that will last for many years. Find a builder nearby and make a friend for life. Find a supplier that you can talk to face to face or over the phone to assist you in making some of the choices that will set your future work practice. Get a bigger shop you will need it soon!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 08:21PM

Ralph,Welcome and beware it is addicting.Great idea to get a cheapie blank.Several of the sponsers at the left offer them.Another option is to rewrap and refinish old or discarded rods.Word got at at work that I was in search of old rods and they are still flowing in years later.You can never have too many to practice on.I sold several at a yard sale last year and put the money towards something that I wanted to build.Even if you cut the guides off and rewrap them several times the practice is priceless.A friend that I got into this built his first rod an a St.Cruix blank and to be honest he wasted a good blank.i even offered to give him some practice rods but he refused them.By all meens jump in and do it just get a little wrappping experience under the belt and come here and ask a lot of questions and you will be building first quality rods in no time!!!!
Check the directory above and possibly find someone near by to offer assistance with some hands on things.Most people listed will be more that happy to help.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2005 09:11PM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 08:21PM

For guides, you can get less expensive Fuji Hardloys, or Forecast VSLG and FLG guides. They won't have the same high-frame design as Fuji Alconites, which are designed for the new concept system, but you can still do a new concept layout with the others.

For a less expensive blank, you could get one of the Forecast RX6 blanks. However, I built my first rod on a St. Croix SCIII and don't regret it, and the 2S66MLF is a nice blank. I just practiced wrapping and a bit of epoxying first on some old rods that I didn't use any more (I made reaming tools from them also).

Several of the sponsors sell Forecast products and can help you select what you need. I personally have had nothing but good experiences with FishSticks4U and with Custom Tackle.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 08:25PM

Ralph
I think you'll find there's a dichotomy on whether you start with a "cheap" rod blank or an expensive one for your first attempt. On one hand it's a sound approach as you "will get mistakes out of the way" - on the other if you take advantage of all the information available in the library and make use of the message board then take your time there is no reason why you can't have an excellent finished product on your first rod. What you should do is use the KISS method - Keep It Simple Sweetie. EVA / hypalon are easy to work with - as is cork if you take your time reaming; reel seats with the brick foam arbors are a cinch to accurately fit to the blank and wrapping guides is only a matter of being attentive to the preparation and wrapping (if you don't like it remove the thread before the epoxy is applied). All of that and the excellent sponsors here who are willing to talk you through selection of parts means that with care you can have what you expect the first time out.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 09, 2005 08:53AM

To me the choice of a less expensive or more expensive blank and components will be determined by your level of confidence that you can get each facet of rod building right the first time. A second factor is whether you have someone local who is willing to provide close guidance to you. Last year a friend wanted a four piece rod for an upcoming trip we had planned. I had built on a four piece Winston (color second) and he decided to build the same rod as he would end up with a quality rod at a reduced price. He spent quite a few evenings at my home, and did most of the work himself. This individual is very focused, and works in a very technical field, so he had something good going for himself. The rod actually appeared nicer than mine, as I had discovered an epoxy that worked better for me.

So think it over and make the choice. In the end though, if you choose the less expensive rod, you'll end up having the opportunity to build again - guaranteed.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 09, 2005 09:17AM

Ralph,

I would suggest that you contact Lamar Reel Seats ( a Sponsor showm on the left ) as he has a ton of good quality rod blanks at reasonable prices. Andy is one of the good Dudes.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: Jeff, Titulaer (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 06:36PM

Ralph,
I finished my first rod a few months ago and I also did the cheapo method. I'm just glad I didn't start out with the St. Croix SC5 blank I purchased at the same time. Building the cheap rod first gave me a chance to work out the bugs so to speak. I didn't find my one mistake until I put a reel on after it was all done. The stripping guide was a few degrees off from the reel seat but it was still usable. Even though it was a fairly cheap rod, I was really bummed. I plan on fixing it before I take on the next rod. I would suggest being as anal as possible the first time. Check everything 2-3 times and make sure you know exactly what your going to do before you start mixing. Practice wrapping guides and don't feel bad about doing them over multiple times. Guide alignment was the most difficult for me because they seem to move around(single foot guides). Even though it was a cheap rod, it felt better than any i've purchased in the last 20years.
Have fun,
Jeff

Posted by: Mike Wong (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2005 01:05AM

Ralph,

I built my first rod about 14 months ago and have built 4 since. I built my first on on a Rainshadow blank and it turned out fine. Looking back I probably would have been much less nervous had I tried on one of the old rods that I have laying around. But I just took my time and kept it as simple as possible. I think you have already discovered a main component for getting started, that being this board. I have been amazed by the people on this board and their willingness to share the wealth of information that they possess.

Good Luck!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 10, 2005 09:38PM

Ralph,

I'm withKen and the KISS method. Make a correctly FUNCTIONING rod first, then worry about the comsmetics. You can always add trim bands and small butt wraps later. I also HIGHLY suggest starting with a rod you have laying around or a flea market acquired. Strip it down and rebuild from there. This gives you practice stripping guides, and also lets you see how things are put together. I just started about 9 mo. ago, and if I didn't have old rods and this forum, I don't know what I would have done. Do lots of searches, there's a multitude of knowledge from a host of master rodbuilders, as well as internediates and newbee's. Above all, have fun!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Ralph Ratliff (---.aep.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 14, 2005 04:24PM

My thanks go out for the very good suggestions. I got my first blanks today and will begin practice this weekend. I hope to begin building my first rod in about two weeks.

rhr

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster