I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What is the worst owner repaired rod you had to straighten out???
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 08:56PM

As part of a barter deal to get some paint work done on my jeep I took on the restoration of the painters favorite rod.Over the years he had applied body repair epoxy(not bondo) over the guide wraps and rings to hold it all together.Luckely a little heat softens it up for removal although it pulls up the blank finish on the edges(dont want to put heat here).The fixed end of the reel seat is broken off and replaced with mechanics wire and black electrical tape.I saw him catch 49 striped bass between 28 and 37 inches one night on the rod in this form.The work going to be well worth it though.So what are some of your worst stories??

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is the worst owner repaired rod you had to straighten out???
Posted by: Noel Spann (12.39.180.---)
Date: April 08, 2005 10:35PM

The worst repair I had to do was when the owner rewrapped three guides with sewing thread and coated with super glue, alot of thread and alot of super glue!!! I never realized until that day how hard super glue got and how gast it dulls razor blades. It took me forever to get those guides off!!!
Noel

Posted by: Arthur Mayfield (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: April 09, 2005 12:07AM

I don't know--if the paint job was worth it and the blank still available, I think I might would start over from scratch and build him a new rod--less work!

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 09, 2005 09:10AM

Worst repair, probably one of my own. I built a Sage RPL, I guess in the late 80's and used Crystal Coat on the guides. That rod served me very well until around 2000 when my son tried it and found he liked it a lot better than an old rod I was letting him use. So before a trip we took in 2001, we decided to build a rod for him. While doing his rod, I decided to spruce up the guide wraps on my RPL using a guide epoxy I decided to try. I learned the hard way that pouring the two components onto foil and mixing with a popsicle stick was a bad idea. Not only did my application end up looking like footballs, but some were tacky footballs. Not wanting to recoat with even more epoxy, I put Permagloss over only the tacky guide wraps. A year later I decided to try to slice off some of the overloaded epoxy and recoat. This was like slicing off pieces of marshmallow, and the recoat was very uneven.

So... Time to strip off the guides and other wraps completely. I had built several rods I was very happy with so I wasn't worried about ruining the RPL. Many dull razor blades later the wraps were all removed, along with the finish in the area of the guides, along with the Sage silkscreen label. Using some creativity with my guide wraps I was able to hide any marring in the finish, and by wrapping a simple but long butt wrap I got the rod back in shape. Left the reel seat and grip intact, and finished the wraps with epoxy. The rod looks great again. The effort was time consuming, but I'm really glad to have and old friend available for use again.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2005 11:29AM

I always hated the guides put on with duct tape and then used during a hot summer. Or the stupidity of a broken rod that somebody had inserted a dowel or piece of coathanger wire into in the hopes of putting it back together.

Occasionally you find a nice surprise, however. A few years back a customer brought me an old Lew's SG rod that he wanted the handle extended and reel seat changed. He said that the handle and seat had already been replaced once but he now wanted something different. I had to remove the old stuff first, and when I started spiral cutting and chiseling off the reel seat I was very impressed at how well someone had fitted and mounted it. It was hard to remove but I had to admit that someone had done a first class job of putting that first or replacement seat on there.

When I got the job finished and the customer came in, I commented on how well the previous job had been done. He said, "You must not remember - you did that about 5 years ago."

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 09, 2005 03:32PM

Copper wire and solder attaching 2 odd ball guides (he'd replaced two with ones that didn't match the rest of the rod). These were double foot guides and the wire had been wrapped around the feet and then spiralled past the ring onto the next foot. The solder job looked like a chicken had done it's duty and that was probably the good point-if he'd done a great solder job, he'd probably ruined the blank!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 09, 2005 04:18PM

you guys are all to funny my worst rod came from e fellow retired guy who had an origianal st.croix from wqy back diffinatly older then me he asked if i could rebuild it at first glance i said yeah no problem after he left i cam to discover it had water inside how it got there is beyond me there was a repair once before that the epoxy just went away so i drained it repaired that then i got to the guides stripped em down and the guides wre imbeded into the rod blank i have never seen this before so i stretched the rod over to make sure it wouldent brake before i rebuilt it it stayed in contact how these guides did this to the rod is beyond me so i took epoxy and filled them in and sanded the rod down but that was my worst everything had to be done i ran into the guy recc. asked him how it was holdin up for him he said good its hangin above his fireplace he said it looked to nice to fish with and went and got a wal-mart rod lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster