I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tiger eye blanks
Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 06:00PM

Today I tried out the 4pc 7'6" 3-4wt Tiger eye that I picked up from Neal's and built over the winter. What a sweet rod! Nice feel, good power, roll casts like a dream with a triangle taper #4. My new favorite short rod.

A few questions for those that have used these blanks:

Are they all this good?

Is there a difference in action between the two and four piece blanks?

Which are your favorite models?

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tiger eye blanks
Posted by: Jeff Schatz (24.106.231.---)
Date: April 08, 2005 06:07PM

These are a great bargain, I've built dozens of them. I think the smalller blanks are their "sweet spot" but the bigger 2 pc. spinning blanks are nice too.
I don't find much difference between the 2 or 4 pc. blanks, performance wise.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.12.240.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 06:25PM

Tony, I built that blank for my brother-in-law and had a hard time giving it away. The 6023 is my daughters first rod and the 7034-2 is fantastic as is the 7645-2. An all around great rod is the 8656-4 but beware it has a large butt (some guys like that) and you can't use just any reel seat with it. The tiger eye blanks rank second, in my opinion, in value behind Forecast. And the color is beautiful, especially outdoors in the sun.

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-54-55rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 06:32PM

i have that very rod and it is my go to rod for packing. i built my hiking partner the 4/5 version and lawn casting it i could feel that it was going to be a sweet rod for him. i was able to build it very reasonably with a kit from neal. put candy apple red wraps on it. very nice. i also have a
9' 4pc 10 wt salt water blank that i will build for yellowtail fishing this summer. i'm told its a cannon but a little heavy.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: April 08, 2005 07:39PM

i've got a tiger eye 9 foot 5/6 i think, 4 piece. it too, truly, has a big booty. none of the reel seat inserts i've stockpiled fit it and would probably take waaay too much reaming to get them to work.

still, one day, i'll build it.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 07:58PM

Thanks for all the feed back. I built it from the kit with brown transparent wraps and gold hardware and snakes. The cheap imitation rosewood seat is killing me. Now that I'm turning my own seats I want to build another with a nicer insert.

Can anyone tell me if the finish holds up on the cheap gold snakes or if I should go for the TiNi plated?

Tony

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.potshe01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2005 09:56PM

A few years back, I had the chance for the FREE trip of a lifetime...1 week Bonefishing in Belize! Being a guy with a family and a budget, I had little to spend on a salt-safe 8wt, 4-piece. The Tiger-Eye fit my budget & performed like a champ! It cast as well as the big name rods my buddy brought along & I didn't notice (& still don't) any extra weight to it. A nice rod that I still fish often.

2cents,

Tim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster