I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Titan guides
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.70.76.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 07:15AM

Got a set of Titan guides from Karen at Bingham yesterday.
Nice, light as a feather

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Titan guides
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 07:38AM

Just curious which one & what sizes.

Date: April 08, 2005 07:45AM

The single foot spin, Billy. Think they are the NIA's. A 20-10 08, and then some fly a 7, and 6's

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 07:48AM

Those are the ones with that small brace between the guide legs, right?

Date: April 08, 2005 07:52AM

Yes, I guess to look different, or for support, nice!

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 09:45AM

Hi guys,
I have a few myself and I have to agree. Nice and light with a different look then the usual, just my style. From what Joe said the larger tips should be comeing in the near future.
From what I understand the so called "A" strut reduces lateral torque, improves ibrational sensitivity and reduces fatigue.
That fatigue thing could come in handy on the days the fish don't bite. ;)

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: April 08, 2005 10:05AM

Disclaimer: I have the double foot spin guides in sizes up to 30. I have to agree, they are incredibly light and seem to be beautiful guides. I will purchase some more.

I'm not saying its a bad thing, but I was just wondering if I'm the only one who thinks they seem a bit soft? I know they are springy and flexible, which I think will be awesome for helping to keep the action of the rod true. First I thought they were soft, then I retracted my statement after playing with the size 30 a bit. I sat down and compared the guides with a set of stainless fuji's that I have (I know, completely different metals). I can't bend the Fuji's for anything, I think I would probably need a vise or pliers to bend the feet on them, but my Titans can be bent with relative ease.

Phil

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.171.170.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 10:17AM

Being so stiff, perhaps the fuji's will break easyer?? Where the Titans may take up the shock

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 10:38AM

I would agree that the Titans are a softer (more malleable) material than the Fuji equivalent. Is this a bad thing? I don't know... probably not... just different. For instance, with the Titans it is easy to adjust the guide foot to fit the blank. This is difficult with the Fuji guides because they don't take a bend very easily. It's also easier to grind the guide feet on the Titans... doesn't eat up your abrasive nearly as fast. I have, however, had rods come in for repair where the Fuji titanium guide was bent all the way back where the foot came out of its winding and I was able to re-use the same guide as it hadn't deformed hardly at all. This, in my mind, is where the harder more springy alloy that Fuji uses comes in handy.

Overall I like the Titans and believe them to be a tremendous value.

One bit of constructive criticism I would offer to American Tackle is to stop pre-grinding the guide feet.

The last batch of Titans I got in were obviously ground very hastily, leaving large lumps on the underside of the guide foot as if the guide foot had curled over from the fast grinding job. The tip of the guide feet were discolored as if they were obviously ground very hot and heavy.

They always require additional guide foot prep, and personally, I'd rather start from scratch than have to fix the bad factory grinding job.

That is my only gripe... otherwise I like them.

Erik

Posted by: joe meehan (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 01:33PM

Hi Erick,

Andy at Rod Builders Supply alerted me to the poor grinding job on these guides. We directed the factory to hold up the shipment and sand the guide feet of every single guide. It took them almost two weeks to do it. They will make sure it doesn't happen again. This is just one of the things that happens with a new product that needed to be straightened out.

As far as the softness of the frame, I don't believe it is a negative. The guide is strong enough to take a beating and if it does bend you can bend it back into place. 'We feel they are plenty strong enough and there won't be any problems associated with the strength of the frame. In our testing there were no reports of any problems. You will find the single foot guides much stronger because of the special and very expensive titanium we use. You can't use the stronger stuff for the two foot guides. You also want to remember with the two foot guides in casting and spinning strength increases when wrapping both feet to the blank.

Warmest regards, Joe Meehan, American Tackle Co.

Posted by: Erik Kunz (65.209.251.---)
Date: April 08, 2005 04:25PM

Thanks for clearing that up Joe... I figured you would address that grinding issue as soon as you caught wind of it. That issue didn't seem to be characteristic of American Tackle's normal level of quality.

Personally, I would still prefer them unground, since even what would be considered a decent factory grinding job still requires additional guide foot prep before use (as was the case with the first batch of Titans I recieved and with any other "pre-ground" guide I've ever purchased).

Regardless... Titans are an excellent value and I'll still continue to buy them.

Just my 2-cents...

Erik

Posted by: joe meehan (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 04:33PM

Hi Erik,

My OEM's would scream bloody murder if I stopped grinding them. They don't prep the feet at all. They just wind them on as is. They don't have the time.

We tried to duplicate the proper grinding technique but I realized we didn't have any way to get it perfect and still make it affordable. Just think of it as a head start.

Warmest regards, Joe Meehan, American Tackle

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2005 05:57PM

My only comments are positive about these guides. They are a bit over half the weight of the comparable size American Tackle guides and lighter than the Fuji titanium guides (likely due in part to the thickness of the Fuji inner ring material). I found them to be of a harder metal amalgam than the other guides I've ground (harder to wear down/file down) and I like the "springy" nature of the frame - perhaps that will eliminate the 'cracking' that was noted a few months back by Billy on titanium guide support frames( jury is out as I've only ground a 20 or so thus far). My only concern now is "What am I going to do with the stockpile of original guides?" My only trepidation is (knowing Joe/American Tackle) "How long will it be before we see different color frames/rings? - Again making even these 'less desireable' ?" LOL.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.amer.csc.com)
Date: April 08, 2005 07:58PM

I know what you mean. I ordered a set of the single foots so I can check them out. I noticed the grinding thing that was mentioned earlier as the guides I have were ground till they turned blue, but I can fix that.

I still have a stockpile of Hardaloy guides I've yet to figure out what to do with. I can't bring myself to use them with the choices that are out anymore.

Phil

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 09, 2005 01:11AM

Being fisherman, I'm sure you are familiar with the "Terminator" spinner and buzz baits. The wires on these are titanium. You can bens them anyway you want, and they spring back to their original shape. I've not tried the "Titan" guides yet, but I would venture to say that you can probably kiss those epoxy cracks goodbye. my guess.

Bill in WV

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.121.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 07:56AM

I will find out how they will hold up cause the rod mine are going on are for a 5 year old his father is having built for him.I figure he will step on them, hit trees ??
They hand file very easy.
I like them.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: April 09, 2005 03:25PM

Shame on you Ken and Phil....Stockpile of guides laying around collecting dust! You could always throw people like myself and many others here who are building rods on a budget a bone and put them up for sale here.

Just a thought....If you sell the old.....and I do mean sell them, not give them away....you could recycle your stock and get the new stuff.

;-}

Derek

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 09, 2005 04:30PM

I use them for repair jobs (older, unused guides).

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2005 10:05AM

Like Randy, and because roughly 60% of my "business" is in repair and/or maintenance of older rods the stockpile gets used. If rods show up with truely older type guides I try to explain the benefits of a total re-wrap. Lots of people will simply opt for replacement of just one guide and a tip top (by far the most common repair is the 5 minute tip top replacement). Selling them has occurred to me - but then I would likely have to buy them back from the person I sold them to LOL

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 10, 2005 09:58PM

Someone on this forum has a signature that hold very true here.

"It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have." Don't know who it is, but very wise.

Bill in WV

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster