I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building a couple of rods for one of our soldiers
Posted by: Chip Cummings (---.22.harborcom.com)
Date: April 06, 2005 02:26PM

Hello All!

Our local fishing forum has had a member's son fall do to terrorism. His Humvee that he was a gunner on was blown up by a land mine. He has suffered multiple injuries including the loss of one ear and one eye. He has shrapnel throughout his body from head to toe, some of which will be left in do to risk of infection.

We thought it would be generous of us to offer this man something for his bravery. He has received a purple heart BTW. What gift could we offer him? Being this stemmed from a fishing forum, what better gift than a fully rigged custom fishing pole?

So, that is where we are. We want this rod to be something special from all of us. We know only a couple of things about his fishing type. We know he can us a bait caster, he his right handed, and his dad fishes allot with a worm. Oh yea! They only bass fish. There fishing is mostly done in lakes and the reel we will be using is the Shimano Curado model 200bsf. That is about all we know thus far. We would like the most virsitel rod we can offer becuase of the fact we don't know his primary fishing needs.

Our question is, what type of set-up would you offer this guy? We need model number and all for the blank because we are dummies on the art of rod building.

This is VERY important to all of us as you can understand. This fine hero has put his life on the line for all of us, we need to show a little appreciation.

If additional info is requested or you would like a link to our local fishing board, please feel free to email my at inshoreslam@gmail.com

Thank You for your time and for your offerings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building a couple of rods for one of our soldiers
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2005 02:31PM

I would contact his dad and ask for more specific information. "Versatile" rods often aren't very good at any particular thing. It shouldn't be too hard to narrow down the type of fishing and gear that the young man prefers. If you're going to do this, you might as well get him a rod that is "spot on" right from the start.

Date: April 06, 2005 02:51PM

Good Point Mr Kirkman!

We just hate to bother them much at this trying time. They "his whole family" are staying at and near the Walter Reed Hospital around Washington D.C. . This has been a very tramatic week for them.

Thank you for your assistance, we might just need to find out more

Date: April 06, 2005 02:53PM

Good Point Mr Kirkman!

We just hate to bother them much at this trying time. They "his whole family" are staying at and near the Walter Reed Hospital around Washington D.C. . This has been a very tramatic week for them.

Thank you for your assistance, we might just need to find out more

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: April 06, 2005 04:14PM

Chip what you might also do is contact the sponcers on your left. I know Bob Lee at Pac Bay is involved with building rods for our troups. You might contact him
Good Wraps Bob Chip if you did not have a hidden address in your profile you might get more info

Date: April 06, 2005 04:26PM

Sorry! I didn't notice the email addy hidden. Thanks for pointing that out, but I did include it in my post, but I will also fix the hidden address.

inshoreslam@gmail.com

Date: April 06, 2005 04:32PM

I don't see where to change my hidden email address, Sorry.

inshoreslam@gmail.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 06, 2005 04:34PM

I hate to take up so much board space for this post but maybe this will be of help to your group. A picture of the rod with the Sargents Stripes can be located on the old photo board. If you will send me an email I will do all I can to help you out. Your email address is hidden on this board. You need to go to your profile and confirm your email where we can email you.

Custom Rod For Sargent Casey Hoffmann 2003
US Army Veteran Iraq War 2003

"Here Comes Trouble"

This custom rod was commissioned by Gammy, Bryan, Kelly, mom and dad while Casey was messing around with the Arabs in the desert. This rod will allow Casey to snatch trout and redfish from the marsh using his latest new fishing technique. When Casey slowly wiggles the Holographic Tip Top close to the water the trout and redfish will come to the side of the boat to take a look at the "Lord of the Rings" colors. "Here Comes Trouble" can quickly snare the fish in the lips with the hook and yank the startled fish into the boat. Any rod equipped with the American Tackle Holo Guides must be registered as a dangerous weapon with the Wild Life and Fisheries Department. This rod may get Casey put in the slammer again if he refuses to apply for the permit. The builder also suggests the purchase of a case to conceal the rod while transporting through Belle Chasse - pawn shops have placed a premium on Rods wif dem purdy guides.

Model Length Piece Line Wt Lure Wt Butt Tip Action
Forecast Power
844 7' 1 8-17 1/4-3/4 .500 5.5 Mod/Fast Med

The rod blank is finished in gloss forrest green. The builder placed the spine of the rod on the top centerline. The Size 16 Blank Exposed Reel Seat was installed using U-40 Rod Bond Epoxy Adhesive and two internal graphite bushings. This process insures maximum "hand feel" when detecting light fish bite. The nine inch Grade AAA rear cork grip, 3 1/2" inch fore grip and winding check were hand fitted and installed using U-40 Rod Bond.

The placement of the guides was detemined by loading the blank and test casting. The guides are American Tackle stainless steel titanium coated, TiCh, with the Holographic Rings. The super hard Titanium Nitride coating provides maximum heat dissipation and is highly resistant to abrasion by braided line.

No/Item with Foot Ground
5 HZTS 08, 07, 06 HoloSgl VF TiCh
2HZSF 10 Holo Sgl VF TiCh
1 HZDF 12 Holo Dbl Ft VF TiCh

Item # with Holographic Titanium Nitride Ring
1 5.5 Holo Tip Top W/ 7 Ring

All guides were wrapped with D Guidebod Black Nylon thread. Five security wraps were extended past each single foot guide to prevent pulling loose during normal wear and tear of transport and storage. A Silver J Metallic decorative trim wrap accents each guide wrap. The "US Army Sargent Chevron" decorator butt wrap is done with green - gold blends over a Silver Metallic underwrap. Decal Connection, West Palm Beach, Florida, provided the decals in Metallic Gold. The rod was finished with four coats of Flex Coat Lite Epoxy finish. Please keep this certificate in a place where it can be located if you should require warranty repair.

I hope you enjoy fishing with this top quality custom fishing rod.

Bill Stevens

Tackle.Description Number
Ten Days For Special Blank Ordering Two weeks to build and finish
Vinyl Butt Cap RVB1
10 " AAA Nine Inch Cork Grip
Fuji ECS Reel Seat 16
Reel Seat Internal Bushings
3 " Cork Fore Grip
Winding Check and Rod Bond
Holographic Guide Set 8
07 Tip Top
Nylon D Thread Nylon A Thread
Epoxy Resin/Trim Thread
Forecast 844
Flexcoat Lite Finish Coats
Name Decal Decal Connection
Iraq Logo

Sargent Casey 082803
Thread Key 13,22,44,22,151,65
Decal Connection Order 2535
Custom Tackle Backorder Reel Seats

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 06, 2005 06:08PM

Chip.....may I suggest a Graphite-USA B70L. Reason being you mentioned that his dad worm fishes a lot. If Ken does also then the B70L is a great blank for that. It's lite and has plenty of back bone. Comes in a gloss charcoal grey finish. Like rodman told you, he could do the American Flags in the butt wrap. That's a quick and easy wrap to do. And it looks pretty cool.

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.vascular.medtronic.com)
Date: April 06, 2005 07:59PM

Chip...

Another cosmetic idea would be to have his military insignia created in a custom decal. I've done this for a few rods. The insignia are usually easy to find as .jpg or .gif files on the web and most photo manipulation software can make easy work of turning them into black and white images suitable for printing as metallic decals.

Below are a couple examples of projects I've done recently with military insignia... decals printed by Decal Connection.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.fishingphotos.net]

Erik

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 06, 2005 09:26PM

I sent you the earlier post with some info. If you want to do a nice bass rod. Subsititute the Rainshadow IMB 783 for the blank listed which is a popping rod.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Chip Cummings (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 06, 2005 10:41PM

I hope this helps in choosing which set-up to go with. This is a copy and paste from our forum by one of the members that is in contact with our sodiers dad. Also the ISS is me, that is short for my screen name of inshoreslam.

Thank you for your help! Our cause is of utmost importance.

quote:
ISS , THIS MIGHT HELP, FROM BAMA
Tim, I think maybe a medium action rod and around 6 1/2 ft. The curado is a fine reel and he would be great. I told him what everyone on fishing forum was doing and he was very grateful. He needs some good news as you can imagine the emotional toll this has put him through. He fishes with a lot with buzz baits, spinners and soft plastics so maybe a rod that would work with a variety of baits.. Thanks for everyone you guys are doing. I am going to update everyone tomorrow. It has been a long day with very little sleep and will be going to bed shortly.

Posted by: Chip Cummings (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 06, 2005 10:42PM

I hope this helps in choosing which set-up to go with. This is a copy and paste from our forum by one of the members that is in contact with our sodiers dad. Also the ISS is me, that is short for my screen name of inshoreslam.

Thank you for your help! Our cause is of utmost importance.

quote:
ISS , THIS MIGHT HELP, FROM BAMA
Tim, I think maybe a medium action rod and around 6 1/2 ft. The curado is a fine reel and he would be great. I told him what everyone on fishing forum was doing and he was very grateful. He needs some good news as you can imagine the emotional toll this has put him through. He fishes with a lot with buzz baits, spinners and soft plastics so maybe a rod that would work with a variety of baits.. Thanks for everyone you guys are doing. I am going to update everyone tomorrow. It has been a long day with very little sleep and will be going to bed shortly.

Date: April 07, 2005 02:04PM

I hate to be presistant, but this is a HERO we are trying to help. Attatched is a letter from his mom posted on our board.

Please Help Us:
inshoreslam

BamaCoast
We would like to express our gratitude to everyone who has supported us through this difficult week. Your calls, emails, prayers, and help have enabled us to have the strength we needed to face this new chapter in our life.

We would like to tell you a little about our experience as well as update you on our son. Going to Walter Reed was an experience we will never forget. If you have a child/grandchild that needs a hero to look up to there are many men & women that can fill that bill. They are not the sports stars or movie stars but these brave men & women who are willing to put everything on the line for freedom. This is something each of them chose to do knowing the price they could pay. I hope each of us never forget the price for freedom in our country as well as other countries seeking freedom. It is easy to take for granted the freedom we enjoy. Many before us paid that price for what we enjoy.

Walter Reed is an amazing experience. The staff was unlike any we have experienced. At any time you appeared lost or had questions everyone had ownership of helping you. Many companies could benefit from this organization. Doctors, nurses, anyone would stop and ask if they could answer questions or give us direction. We even had staff offer to take us into their personal homes when we were having problems locating rooms. Everyone owned the job of helping us in any way possible. They have an
amasing network of volunteers that work full time jobs then spend their
spare time working at Walter Reed helping the wounded soldiers and
their families.

We have seen many sobering realities this week. Most of the faces were very young men and women. What we didn’t see was regret, pity, depression, or anyone feeling sorry for themselves. Each would tell you they would do it again. We have seen a steel determination. The same fire is in each of their eyes. The same willingness to give of themselves to others. It is amazing! They are facing any new challenge they have, and yes there are many. These are true heroes. They welcome any new comers with advice, a smile and that same willingness to help them face their issue. How? I don’t know but it has to be the same inner strength that drew them to the military.

What were amazing are the parents, wives and husbands of these hero’s. If you look at these families you see pain for what their love one is facing. No one wants to see someone they love in pain. It is a tough experience. Yet you see strength, amazing strength. You can always find something to be grateful for even when facing times as tough as these. We are all so thankful they come home that we can work with the rest. Our hope & prayer is that we can be some of these amazing parents for our son.
Please do not forget to pray for each of these men and women. For each one we have seen there are many upstairs much worse off and in need of love and prayers of us all.

Now for an update on Kenneth Delon. We must start at the beginning. Before the plane arrives the staff prepares the front entrance with beds and bags of personal care items for the incoming wounded. A medical bus brings them from the airport to the hospital. The family is called into a room with the Red Cross where we are given updates. They let you know when the plane lands, and 5 minutes before the bus arrives and what will be done. Each one that is not critical is taken to the “cast room”, where they are checked from head to toe and bandages changes. The critical of course are taken up for care. We saw 8 beds, there could have been more we are not sure. The hard part is waiting to see them at long last. We were so shocked to learn of all the ones coming in we were the only family their to meet our soldier. If they can walk and talk we learned they are called a walkie/talkie.

We soon learned our son was the only walkie/talkie on the flight. Only 2 from the flight went to the cast room the rest were critical. The SGT that came to tell us how our son was doing described him in a way we knew it was him. She told us that he walked in and was very vocal of how much he disagreed with the rule we couldn’t greet him upon arrival. The cleaned up version is “I’ve been blown up in Iraq and it is dumb that I have to wait to see my family”. She informed us she would speak to him later about his tone/attitude with her. (she out ranks him) We knew this would be our son. A bit later she returned to the room we were waiting in to hand us his purple heart, coins and a double quarter pounder with cheese. He must have carried his Purple Heart & coins in his hand for the trip. Someone at the hospital visiting gave him the burger upon his arrival. The odd part is that it is just what he would have ordered had he had the chance. We were told he said, “hold on to my medal and don’t eat my quarter pounder I’m starving!” We knew at that point all of his spirit was there. He was born hungry.

We were told we could visit in his room about 30 minutes and then would be moved because his roommate had no one to greet him and they didn’t want him to be overwhelmed with the greeting our son was receiving. It ended up with us going to a family room from the start because he his roommate was processed quicker than they thought. What an emotional time it was to see him and touch him at last.

There were some things better than expected and some we weren’t expecting. His arm that had the skin graft looked great, better than we thought. His eye we expected, what we didn’t expect was the extent of ear injury and other injuries to his face and head. His neck wound was very large. We have learned it had to be attended to in the field, we are sure to save his life. We also learned he had died in the field and was revived by the medics. He had staples in his neck. He also had stitches in his eyebrows, his temple and his head. We didn’t know about these at all. His ear was a big shock. We understood it to be just his ear lobe, it was half his ear. His ear was damaged from the opening in your ear down. Shrapnel went through the back of his ear, burst his eardrum, and out in the cheek area. He still has a lot a schrapnel in both legs that they may not remove because of the risk of infection. The bottom of his ear had been detached. They had completed some plastic surgery with more to go. It was much worse than we had thought. Our hope is they will be able to do something for his hearing. His eye is still an uncertainty. He will not have sight in the eye for sure. We watched as they did the ultrasound. He has a large piece of metal behind his eye in what we are told is the worst place it could be. They completed a cat scan as well. They will not know for sure if the eye can be saved until they complete surgery next Thursday April 14th. We had been told when he was in Germany that it would be removed and it still may be. All of the white part of his eye is red from large amounts of blood. His brown pupil is all cloudy and white. Due to the large amount of blood still in his eye they are waiting to see how much will clear to better determine the damage he has. He has the normal emotions of having experienced such a horrible time. He is upbeat but on edge. He has a good bit of pain due to the metal in his eye. We are praying this will end soon. He is only looking forward to his future. He knows he will be fine and land on his feet. His fighting spirit is in tact.

We feel we have to end on a high note and tell you how he has been. All returning soldiers receive street clothes upon arrival. Monday he was dress in a very nice Nike outfit. We went to his room to visit him, he wasn’t there. We asked at the nurse’s desk where he was. The nurse said, “are you talking about the guy not dressed like a patient, that does not think he a patient who walks around all the time?” “The one we can’t find when we need to do things to him?” we knew that was our son. He was doing so well he felt being in the bed was a waste so he roamed the hospital. He was released on Monday to an out patient center like a hotel next door to the hospital. (Mologne House) He and his wife and Hannah are there. It is a very nice way for them to reconnect and recover. He has appointments starting tomorrow.

Kenneth has a long road to recovery but he is on that road. We are so blessed and feel God is still working in his life in the healing process. The prayers have gotten him this far and will continue to help him. Thank you again for each prayer you have and will pray.

Kenny & Renae Bosarge

Posted by: joe meehan (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2005 02:48PM

Wow what a story. God bless him and his family for the sacrifices they've made. We worked with Dave Fuller from Great Basin Fishing rods on some rods bound for Walter Reed. Chip we can take care of any of the components you need for this project. Just drop me a line.

I will certainly keep the Bosarge's in my prayers as well as the rest of our troops in harms way. God bless them all.

Warmest regards, Joe Meehan, American Tackle Co.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com.136.174.12.in-addr.arpa)
Date: April 07, 2005 04:35PM

If the blank isn't too small, how would a purple heart weave look?

Jay

Date: April 07, 2005 04:35PM

Mr. Meehan,

Thank you for your help in this matter, it is of utmost importance to us to help this soldier and his family.

Thank you for your consideration.

email sent
Chip Cummings

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: April 08, 2005 03:28PM

I've spent a year and a half in the Middle East myself for the Navy, this is an incredible story. Best wishes to the families and thanks to those doing the rods.

Phil

Posted by: Lukas (---.sochor.at)
Date: April 15, 2005 04:00AM

Give him a new President, this @#$%& asshole is playing war all over the world!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster