I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rubber composite cork butt caps (How to)
Posted by: Tom Markham (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2005 09:55PM

OK, this is sort of a newbie question, but how do you guys install those rubber/cork composite rings as butt caps on your rods?

I've done it a few times, but each time I do it I keep saying to myself, "there's got to be a better, easier, or faster way".

I've tried using ones that have no hole in them, but turning them down becomes a pain. However, using the ones with the holes, I am always afraid of stretching or otherwise destroying the hole in the ring to the point where the plug won't fill it well.

Just looking for other ideas I guess.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rubber composite cork butt caps (How to)
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 05, 2005 11:41PM

I use the ones with the 1/4' hole and plug. I mount the grip, leaving a little bit of the blank extending from the grip. I Use a Flex coat pilot bit, although you can use a regular drill bit the size of the blank butt and drill about 1/2 way through and fit it on the end and clamp. When done, just smear a little Rod Bond on the plug and stick it in. Sand when done.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 06, 2005 07:44AM

See the thread started April 4 that gave a lot of answers to this question. Do a search (or scan down) to the post by George McPhail.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.66.196.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 06, 2005 10:32AM

Glue one or two rings onto the end of the handle just like cork. Then put it on a mandril and shape. When done you can save the dust mix with rod bond and fill and sand the end.
Or when done get the auto interior plugs at most auto supply stores and plug the hole with the correct size.

Posted by: Don Jones (65.213.88.---)
Date: April 06, 2005 12:55PM

Brad point drill bits work well also. A tip given to me by George Roth off the Bass Fishing Home page.

Posted by: George McPhail (---.sbtnvt.adelphia.net)
Date: April 06, 2005 06:27PM

When drilling the ring how do you hold it in place?
George

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 06, 2005 10:12PM

I just hod them by hand with no problem (I have a small table drill press) If you don't want to do that, you probably could just put it in a vise.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster