I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

USMC color scheme problems
Posted by: Thomas Schell (---.printrainbow.com)
Date: April 05, 2005 04:01PM

have gotten to the guide wrap part of building this rod. It is a cobalt blue St Croix SCIV with some nice Bloodwood grips done by Les from the sponsors section. The guides are matte black with cobalt blue rings to match the rod. Here are the guide wrap colors I am considering: Doing a side by side thread wrap using either dark blue/dark red, bright blue/bright red, or using just bright red against the blue blank and putting a small bright yellow strip in the middle of the red.

Which do you think would look best or do you have any other suggestions??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: USMC color scheme problems
Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2005 04:24PM

Hi Thomas,

Try Garnet with teal trim wraps.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Jay Lindholm (---.region6.ang.af.mil)
Date: April 05, 2005 06:04PM

Stay with the Corp colors. I think that you have enough blue already, I would leave out the blue on the wraps and go with trying to match the red and yellow as close to the Marine colors as possible. I've been looking at that blank and thinking about building it in Boise State University colors, but I don't think that I want to add any more blue with the wraps, and mostly orange wraps are a little bright, even for me.

Good luck!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 05, 2005 07:46PM

Jay,

Try sunburst, it has more yellow to it not so bright orange!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 05, 2005 08:49PM

Here's the best Marine Corps rod that I've seen yet by Mick McComesky!!!
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.b.003.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: April 06, 2005 01:02AM

Mike I second that.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 06, 2005 02:05AM

I'll third it and drink to it; nuther PBR bites the dust.

Dundee did one heckuva job on that rod!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Fred Duncan (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: April 06, 2005 08:15AM

I would definately accentuate the bloodstripe Devil Dog. Go with the blue, incorporate a bloodstripe. Minimal trim w/silver. Perhaps think about some kaki (gun metal ight) thread in there somewhere. Or, think of Dress Blues. Pants are lighter blue, coat is black. Half blue, half black with a bloodstripe separating them, silver metallic trim bands. I don't like the side by side idea. Come off the dress blues fella. One more for Chesty!

Posted by: Fred Duncan (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: April 06, 2005 08:16AM

GOLD metallic trim bands would be better!

Posted by: Jmaes Smith (134.179.250.---)
Date: April 06, 2005 10:41AM

I built a 12 wt using the SCIV blank a couple months ago. I used metallic silver trim bands and a medium green that nearly disappeared against the blank once it was coated (no color preserver). Sweet rod, my main point though is that you take your color choices out into the sunlight to evaluate. I found the balance of green and blue changes with that blank depending on the light. It is much more blue outdoors. Indoors it looks greenish, to my eye. My factory built Legend Ultra, now about 6 years old, does the same thing.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: April 06, 2005 06:25PM

Thanks guys. You are too kind.

I also would go with red with some gold trim, but not side by side. I don't think you'll get the effect you want. If you go with two threads of each side by side, then maybe. That's just me though.

Posted by: Jim Cunningham (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 06, 2005 09:12PM

I did 3 USMC rods this year. Use the gold as trim and they are awesome! I used chevrons of gold with a seperation/ background of royal blue and an outline of gold. You will like it! Semper fi, Devel Dog,

JC
Former Corporal, USMC

Posted by: tom kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: April 07, 2005 12:54PM

If the person that you are building this rod for is or was a SNCO you might want to incorporate some white into the main wraps since the SNCO's are now required to wear white trousers with the dress blue alphas' or bravo's. This requirement is only for the summer months so it may be an option for you to consider.

Tom Kaufmann,
SSgt USMC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster