I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First guide on but with some "flags"
Posted by: Samer Ibrahim (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 04, 2005 11:21PM

Hello

So I got my first guide on today and I'm quite excited. I think the bug has already bitten me. I'm beginning to plan my next rods and I haven't even finished this one. But really I was posting not to talk about that but rather to get some advice on one problem I did seem to have. I have some "flags" in my wraps from cutting the tag ends off after finishing my wraps. While the average person might not notice them, since I'm building it I know it's there. Especially because I'm using Navy blue and silver and when the silver isn't completely hidden its apparent to me. How can I get rid of these "flags"? How do I prevent them to begin with?

Thanks
Sam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First guide on but with some "flags"
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2005 06:49AM

Samer,By flag ends I`m assuming you mean that the thread is sticking up through the wrap at the point it was pulled trough with the tie off loop.This can be repaired after the first coat of finish is applied,Take an Exacto or sharp razor blade and carefully cut it out being careful not to cut into the wrap.The next coat will smoothe it out.Try this,When putting in the tie off loop do it about 7 wraps before the end and when you pull it through pull till you are against the end of the wrap and stop .This will hold it tight .At this point with a sharp blade cut the thread close to the tie off and pull through.This will leave the tag end under the wrap.It may take some practice to get the cut length right.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: April 05, 2005 06:58AM

Samer, I think I'm bitten about the same as you. I just finished my second rod in three week's, and I've had a few tag ends pop through on me too. I can't remember where I saw this technique, but I started using it, and the tag end problem went away. When approaching the end of your wrap, insert the pull through loop earlier (I insert it about 15 turns before the wraps end) then when you get to the end of the wrap, insert the thread into the loop as you would normally do. Instead of pulling the thread through and then cutting it, just pull it until it starts to go under the wrap. At that point (while keeping tension on the pull through loop) cut the thread close to the wrap, pull the loop out, and the tag end disappears under the wrap, but doesn't come out with the pull through loop. One word of caution here, you have to make sure the thread starts to go under the wrap, or when you cut the end the whole wrap comes apart. I've only made that mistake one time because I wasn't paying attention. I hope I explained this clearly, and if not I know the pro's on this board will set me straight. Good luck, and I hope to see some pic's when you're finished.

Date: April 05, 2005 07:00AM

Fred, you type too fast for me!!!

Date: April 05, 2005 07:13AM

Samer, here's where I saw the technique. It's under part two of this video series.

[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.dhcp-bl.indiana.edu)
Date: April 05, 2005 11:59AM

If you trim off a bit of tag after your first coat of epoxy and you used color preserver, will you get a dark spot where you trimmed the thread? It seems that the epoxy could wick into the core of the thread, but I don't know if that actually happens.

Peter

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: April 05, 2005 06:13PM

You can insert a dental pick in between the thread where the flag comes up and drag it under. You can also flame the flag with a lighter. The pull through technique works well, but I use scissors instead of a razor to make sure a little tab is left to pull under.

Posted by: Samer Ibrahim (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 05, 2005 09:36PM

Thanks for all the suggestions!!! I'll keep them in mind while putting my other guides on.

-Sam

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster