I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Guide Recommendation for Saltwater Use
Posted by: Tony Pevec (---.cdm.com)
Date: April 04, 2005 11:17AM

I am going to be building on a couple RPLXi blanks (10wt and 12wt) and would like to get recommendations on a good set of durable, corrosion proof, stripper guides and snake guides.

In the past I have used Fuji Ti frame SIC ring stripper guides (I think the TNSG) and RECOIL snake guides and tip top.

I was looking for something that is either a corrosion resistent metal or has a really durable corrosion resistent coating.

Durability is the main concern, cost second, and weight third.

Appreciate the help,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Guide Recommendation for Saltwater Use
Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: April 04, 2005 11:31AM

If you are using the Recoil snakes, why not use the Recoil Stripping guides.

Christian

Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.com)
Date: April 04, 2005 11:38AM

I would stick with the Fuji titanium alloy concept frames with SiC rings (TNLSGs are the dbl-foot stripping guides...I forget the fly guide designation). I would use these all the way to the top.....Bret

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 04, 2005 01:57PM

I agree with Bret, I use the SiC ring / Titanium frame, all the way.

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2005 02:00PM by David von Doehren.

Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 04, 2005 03:29PM

Tony, in these rod weights I also recommend the SIC titanium frames for the entire rod. I'm building an RPLXi 11 weight now, and I'm giving the Amtak Titans a try. They are also solid titanium, and although the ring material is not SIC, it is very durable. What I like about the Titans is that they have larger inside diameters than the SIC rings of the same outside ring size, and they have a #20 stripping guide available. They are less expensive, too.

Date: April 04, 2005 03:57PM

Thanks all for the recommendations.

I guess I am a little hesitant to use recoil guides on these rods b/c of the heavy application. I have RECOL guides on my 8wt and recently the wire came "unbonded" from the aluminum sleave on the tip top. I love the guides, but was kind of upset about the tip-top. Also I would like something a little heavier of a gauge.

Dan - have you heard anything about the nanolite rings on the Titan guides? I wonder how hard/durable they are compared to the SIC rings?
For your 11-weight are you using 3 Titan -stripper guides, then single foot Titan guides, then the stainless steel tip-top?

Thanks for the info. I kind of like the idea of using either frames guides with rings on these heavier rods. Seems very durable and should make casting easier.

-Tony

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.177.---)
Date: April 04, 2005 04:46PM

Tony , I would so the same as the others with either the Fujis or the Titans . I have not used the Titans yet , but will in the near future . My only problem on using incert guides on a larger wt flyrod is getting a matching top in the right ring size ....... tricky to find , if you can find one at all . It may be just me , but most go up to a 6 or 7 ring , that's it . Have FUN . JHD

Posted by: joe meehan (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 04, 2005 06:32PM

Hi Tony,

Here is a little info on the Titans to give you a little more info.

The frame is made from the highest quality, proprietary, solid titanium alloy, specially manufactured for American Tackle Company to ensure lightness and extreme strength. The titanium frame is 100% corrosion proof in saltwater and has less than half the weight of stainless steel.

The all new NanoLite â„¢ rings are up to 45% stronger and 2 times harder than popular hardened ceramic rings on the market today. The Nanolite ring has a slightly lower hardness factor than that of SiC but will handle any of the fishing lines made today including stainless steel wire line in a recreational situation. The biggest attraction is that the material is much stronger than SiC which tends to chip and crack. This allows us to greatly reduce the size and surface of the ring. If you look closely the Nanolite ring surface is minute compared to SIC. SiC needs a much larger ring to insure enough strength. Our ring is so thin it minimizes surface contact and reduces the heat due to line friction. Conductivity is increased due to the reduction in the rings mass which also decreases weight dramatically. With line contact greatly reduced the diamond polished ring is slicker than SiC giving you longer line life and longer smoother casts.

We believe by fusing the NanoLiteâ„¢ high tech ceramic ring with the Titan titanium alloy frame will provide the ultimate in high performance.

You can get all the performance you need from this guide for a little more than stainless steel. This compared to Fuji's price for their titanium guide is a fraction of the cost.

Warmest Regards, Joe Meehan, American Tackle Co.

Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 04, 2005 09:28PM

Tony, thankfully Joe Meehan has answered your question about the Nanolite rings. I couldn't have.

I have a three piece RPLXi blank. I intend to use six #7 SF guides on the tip section, then an 8 SF, a 10 SF a #16 DF on the mid section and finally a #20 stripping guide on the butt section. I'll test cast the rod once I get the spacing worked out. I'll swap a #12 two foot for the #10 SF is it improves the casting, but I would prefer not to use three two foot guides. The inside diameter of the #7 Nanolite ring is quite a bit larger than the #8 Fuji, and I am very comfortable dropping from a #8 Fuji to a #7 Titan. I am building this rod specifically for Dorado fishing in Baja with either a clear intermediate or TS-450 line, so I really do not care about large ring sizes anyway. #6 SF guides might be adequate.

I have only used the Recoil tips on very light rods. I have always wondered whether or not that design would work under a heavy load. I have used either standard wire tips, or Fuji SIC tips, either the TLST or TPST.

John Dow makes an excellent point about SIC tips. The Titan tips with Nanolite rings are available in size 8 rings, and I intend to use one on the RPLXi. The metal is not titanium, for whatever reason, but I really like the size 8 ring, and the bracing is like the Fuji TLST tips. Tips are easy to replace, so if the guide corrodes, it can be replaced. I weigh the Titan tip for you if you are interested.

I really like Recoil guides, and I think they are actually strong enough for use on 10 and 12 weight rods. I use them on all my trout and steelhead rods because they are so light. There may be some benefit to casting with the SIC rings over the Recoils when shooting line, but that is not why I use the SIC guides in the salt. Even small Dorado can rip off a lot of line very quickly. That is when guides and line get abused. With the SIC rings those ripping runs are much smoother and quieter, but every but as exciting.

Date: April 06, 2005 08:38AM

Joe - Thanks for the detailed "scoop" on the Titan guides. I think I will give these a try on the 10wt and 12wt I will be building.

Dan and others - thanks a lot for relating your opinions and experience.....much appreciated!

-Tony Pevec

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster