I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cleaning roller guides
Posted by: Bob Barlas (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 03, 2005 11:52PM

I'm looking for some suggestions on cleaning tycoon roller guides. I've never worked with these before. The rollers look like they haven't been out of the plastic frames in years. Is there a a big risk in damaging the guide? What should i use as a cleaning solvent?

thanks
Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cleaning roller guides
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2005 10:55AM

Alcohol is the safest best on cleaning them. If the pins are heavily corroded ro salted, it may take more than that. I can't remember if the pins and bushings were coated with something like that on the Aftco pin sleeves but if so, you may find that once things have been neglected too long the sleeves can't really be salvaged.

I don't think you'll damage them, but you may have a bit of work to do in getting the pins and sleeves cleaned up.

Posted by: Rich Kline (---.newark-31-33rs.nj.dial-access.att.net)
Date: April 04, 2005 08:14PM

The roller guides in question are FinNor Tycoon, used them on all my Offshore Trolling Rods in the 80's, They are great guides, you must be careful when you clean them, I agree with Tom, Alcohol is probably the safest way to go. The only draw back with these guides, are they become very brittle and crack or break easily because of age. To my knowledge the pin and bushing have no coating, I used peterolum jelly to coat the pins and bushing. Trying to find a replacement will be a problem

Rich

Posted by: Capt. Ron Alley (---.r02.scbuft.infoave.net)
Date: April 04, 2005 09:35PM

Try "Super Lube Dri-Film" (not the regular aerosol product they make which is a lube only). The spray will clean and lube at the same time. I have to deal with tycoons sometimes and if this doesn't work it can be almost impossible to bring them back to decent working order. Your local hardware may have the product and I think Merrick (a sponser) handles it now. Trying a couple of applications 24 hours apart can also help.
PS: If all fails "GET YOSEF SOM' AFTCOS"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster