I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tricks for lining up the guides?
Posted by: geoff blachman (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 30, 2002 01:20AM

does anyone have any tips/tricks for lining up the guides before they are wrapped?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tricks for lining up the guides?
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 30, 2002 02:51AM

Geoff
After you have found the spine and have guides in place. Use this with bait caster turn the rod up side down like you were fishing a spining rod. look down the rodand see if there is equil amount of guide showing on both sides of the blank . On a spining rod just hold it like you were fishing and see if the guides are equil on each side of the blank
Keep Smooth Wraps
Bob

Posted by: Jeff Stickle (---.mtc1.cox.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2002 11:21AM

Sight check for alignment from both ends of the rod.

Posted by: Glenn Ging (---.wcnet.net)
Date: March 30, 2002 11:24AM

I do basically the same thing but I don't tape all the guides on prior to wrapping. I figure out my spacing and test cast. The final guide locations are marked with a single wrap of 1/4" masking tape. Then all guides are removed. At that point I prep my guide feet. Next I install the tip and get it lined up with the reel seat. Next I install the first guide closest to the reel seat and line it up with the reel seat and tip. Now as I wrap the rest of the guides I turn the rod over and look at it from the back and compare the guide I just wrapped to the first guide looking for an equal amount of guide showing on each side of the blank. After the last guide is wrapped I remove the rod from the wrapper and check for alignment. With practice you will get to where the guides will be 90+% lined up on the first pass. Minor adjusments are made and you are ready for finish.

I quit trying to line everything up prior to wrapping when I finally figured out that you are going to move the guides a little inadvertantly when doing your wraps. I'd spend time getting them all lined up and when I finished wrapping there would be several out of line and I'd wonder what I did wrong.

Posted by: Tom Smith (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 30, 2002 12:37PM

I use a rod blank, run it through all the guides from the butt end of the rod, and into the tip-top.
Tom

Posted by: Jim Racela (---.015.popsite.net)
Date: March 31, 2002 07:24AM

Before and after wrapping, I install an small bait caster, run line thru the guides, attach a 4oz sinker to the line and sight the guides using the line as my point of reference.
Aloha,
J.AkuHed

Posted by: Larry Nolan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 31, 2002 05:29PM

My final test is to hang it from a hook on a peg board. With the board painted white you can easily see from the contrast if the guides are straight while the rod is plumb.

Posted by: Tracy Steele (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 02, 2002 10:09PM

One thing to remember when you use two guides that are the same in size, when you sight down the rod, the furthest of the two guides will appear larger then the closer one, its not, its an optical illusion...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster