I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Did Rainshadow go to China?
Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.152.159.163.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: April 02, 2005 06:40PM

I hope this post isn’t out of line but I am really disturbed by this!

I went to pick up a blank I had ordered from Bob at Custom tackle a few weeks age. As always Bob was tutoring me on how to build a better rod when I noticed my new blank had a made in China sticker on it. Bob said all the new blanks were going to be coming from China from now on... Needles to say, I didn’t buy the blank. If I wanted a china blank I would buy a factory rod and save myself the torture of building it.

They had a fantastic product made by fantastic people with a strong group of consumers backing them. I didn’t notice a decrease in price on these China rods? So am I to assume that it cost as much to build them overseas and import them back???

I know most of the components I use are made in a hurry or China and I hate it, but what else can you do.

As for me, I will always pick the USA product even at a higher cost when given a choice. That especially goes for blanks

I did buy two of the older RS blanks with the MADE IN USA sticker on them. They were sweeeet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2005 07:41PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Did Rainshadow go to China?
Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2005 06:44PM

Mike,

I may be wrong but Forcast is off shore but Rainshadow is (or was) made in the USA.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: April 02, 2005 06:45PM

Mike there alot of rods made off shore with American manufactures names on them. All you want is to know the quality is there. Question who makes your guides and reelseats. I would have sent you a peronal message but you have a hidden email.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.152.99.76.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: April 02, 2005 07:48PM

From what I was told, RS blanks now come from China. The blank I had in my hands was indeed a RS and it was made in China. If I am wrong then somebody please let me know!

Bob, my address MikeAnderson"at"HighStream.net Replace at with @. (keeps web apps from stealing my address)

Tom is right that this is not the place to protest trade issues so I edited this post.

Sticking to rod building, Rainshadow appears to have moved to China. Since they didn't bother to mention this bit of info in the 2005 catalog I thought some builders might be interested to know. If I had ordered that blank and had it shipped to my house it would have cost me $12 to ship it back. I am no way saying that RS is not a quality blank. I am sure they are still as good as ever but I chose to buy US until I have no choice.

Sorry about getting on my soapbox Tom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2005 09:53PM by Mike Anderson.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 02, 2005 08:03PM

Everybody will have an opinion on the trade issue, but this site isn't the place for that discussion. I hope everyone will stick to rod building.

Any email addresses used on this site that are not valid as they are written will cause a message post to be deleted. Just a tip for those using and posting on the site.

Posted by: Jeff Hunter (---.direcpc.com)
Date: April 03, 2005 03:56AM

Mike, if the quality of the blank is the concern, the new Rainshadow blanks are better than what was being offered before. I just went up and checked out the new stuff at Batson's new place. The old models are the same actions as before but with a nicer finish. The new RX8+ models are some of the nicest that I've felt. Very nice feel and finish. If we're talking about something other than product quality, I have no argument with your position.

Jeff Hunter

Posted by: Pavel Novolokin (---.pppoe.mtu-net.ru)
Date: April 03, 2005 04:06AM

Jeff,

But RX8+ are American-made blanks. Or I miss something :-(

Pavel,
Moscow, RU

Posted by: Jeff Hunter (---.direcpc.com)
Date: April 03, 2005 04:59AM

I may be wrong but I believe that both Rainshadow and Forecast products are made off shore now. I'm going to be seeing Bill and Karry Batson this next weekend in Woodland. I'll get a clarification from them then. As I said, I respect everyone's position on the other aspect of this. But if we are talking solely about quality, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these blanks to anybody.

Jeff Hunter

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: April 03, 2005 05:08AM

The Rainshadow RX7+ and Rainshadow RX8+ blanks are made in the US. The other Rainshadow and Forecast blanks are made overseas.
Batson (the company that owns the Rainshadow Brand) is an American Company in Sequim,WA - THEY HAVE NOT MOVED OVERSEAS. They just have some blanks made off-shore - but they offer American made blanks, if that is your preference.

But it comes down to the blanks are still the same quality as before and Batson has great customer service. I have had several of the new off-shore Rainshadows and from what I've seen they are the same quality as the Cascade Component made blanks.

Please, if you're not sure about information - don't post incorrect information that could be harmful to a company.

Christian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2005 05:12AM by Christian Brink.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.37.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 03, 2005 08:34AM

Think about it Mike
If you own a company, had 1,000 workers to pay. Profit is low.
It costs more for a company to pay Americans then to go overseas.
The Quality is still there!! Who cares where they are made

Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: April 03, 2005 12:52PM

I agree with what Bill said. I have been dealing with Kerry and Bill Batson for some time now and have been nothing but pleased. I think this is a concern that should be talked about, however not a negative discussion.

It is my understanding that everything is the same and has even improved more as far as materials in the blanks. I have ordered a few and they look great to me. My customers are very pleased with the sensativity in the rods.

My only main concern would be quality control, however I have trust and faith that Bill and Kerry Batson will control that.

If you have not already tried Forecast components I highly urge you to try them. Compaired to al of the other makers out there, in my opinion, you cannot beat them.

Keep up the good work Batson family!

David Banaka
D&S Custom Rods
dscustomrods@comcast.net

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.151.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 03, 2005 01:07PM

I know one thing is I think it was 2003 when they did not like the way there blanks were being made, they changed who made them. Then the 2004 ones were and still are a very nice product. Now that is some one who cares about there product, no mater where it is made. They are keeping an eye on who makes them

Date: April 03, 2005 02:07PM

Here is a message from Bill Batson stating that the new high-end Rainshadows (RX7+ and RX8+) are MADE IN THE USA.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: April 03, 2005 05:07PM

What I see here is just a little difference in opinion here. We all agree the Batson rods are a great product. If you have certain concerns where they are built I would contact Bill Batson at
wbatson@olypen.com
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Kirk Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: April 03, 2005 06:51PM

As far as I can remember, well for the last couple of years anyways, the Forecast line has been being made in China. Rainshadow was always made in the US, and hopefully always will be. The Batsons are my favorite people to deal with. I have recieved nothing but total honesty, and quality service from them. If you have any quesitons or comments on their line give them a holler. They are ver responive to bothe Email and Phone calls. I might add that even though the Forecast line is made in China.......They are a great blank.

Date: April 03, 2005 08:24PM

I totally agree with Kirk . Like it was mentioned earlier contact Batson they have a free number. Question like these should be brought up with the manufacture or supplier. What we can address is how we are satisfied with the product or supplier
Good Wraps Bob PS I hate these hidden addresses. If they were open you could address the question directly

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.205.202.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: April 03, 2005 08:48PM

Mud Hole Custom Tackle has many of the original MADE IN THE USA Cascade Composite, LLC blanks at 50% off current pricing. These blanks are not seconds or blems but first run blanks no matter what you have heard from others - the fact is if we had not purchased them they would have. The blanks carry a 90 day warranty at a great price point. See more of them at:
[shop.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.154.44.143.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: April 03, 2005 11:32PM

<<“Please, if you're not sure about information - don't post incorrect information that could be harmful to a company”>>

I don’t see any rods other then fly rods with the RX7+ or RX8+ model.
I am sure that the rod I had in my hands was made in China. I had built three of them within the last 3 months that were not China blanks. Model RX7 IP841,842,843. I assume they were from some old stock. I was shocked when I saw a made in China sticker on my beloved blank.

<<“If we're talking about something other than product quality, I have no argument with your position”>>

I never said anything about poor quality. I am sure the Batsons are great people and they have a great product. This is strictly a matter of my personal opinion on US trade issues.

<<“Think about it Mike
If you own a company, had 1,000 workers to pay. Profit is low.
It costs more for a company to pay Americans then to go overseas.
The Quality is still there!! Who cares where they are made”>>

1000 former Rainshadow factory workers maybe?
I am not trying to be a smartbutt Bill. I have been in the unemployment line before and I didn’t like it one bit. Job hunting cuts into your fishing time.

I didn’t see the post from Mr Batson explaining his companies direction. I wish they would have put that information in their catalog. I just would like to know when I am buying a foreign product.

I just got off the lake tonight and caught 20 plus 6 to 12# hybrid stripped bass on two (US) RS blanks and I still say they are one of the finest blanks on the market for the money. Will I get over it, suck it up and buy their China blanks. Time will tell.

Date: April 04, 2005 02:54AM

> <<“Please, if you're not sure about information - don't post incorrect information that could be harmful to a company”>>
>
> I don’t see any rods other then fly rods with the RX7+ or RX8+ model.
> I am sure that the rod I had in my hands was made in China. I had
> built three of them within the last 3 months that were not China blanks.
> Model RX7 IP841,842,843. I assume they were from some old stock.
> I was shocked when I saw a made in China sticker on my beloved blank.

If you read my post instead of quoting me out of context - you would have read that the Rainshadow RX7's (not the RX7+ or RX8+) are made overseas.

My post was directed at this comment:
> Rainshadow appears to have moved to China
This is incorrect. Batson is still in Sequim, WA

> I didn’t see the post from Mr Batson explaining his companies direction.
I posted this just above:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

> I wish they would have put that information in their catalog.
I agree.

Christian

Posted by: Michal Studený (---.nat.karneval.cz)
Date: April 04, 2005 05:10AM

I have rainshadow blanks Made in USA and the same blanks Made in China and they are the same!!
I built about 30 rods last year and I have any broken rod from Batson Enterprises.
It is not important where the blanks was made.
Quality is the best.
Michal Studený
Czech Republic - Europe
www.jedemenaryby.cz

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster