I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Having trouble getting smooth finish over gel pen inscription
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: April 02, 2005 03:28PM

Joe K. showed me how to sign a rod with gel pens in Charlotte and I did my first yesterday. The inscription came out great but I had trouble with the 2 inch wide coat of epoxy on top of it. How do you get a 2+ inch wide inscription to be fairly level?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Having trouble getting smooth finish over gel pen inscription
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: April 02, 2005 03:55PM

Thin multipl coats. Always move your finish in a horizonal direction going one way, not back an forth. An just and let set least 10 min. between coats . Do this while the rod is turning. I would also Email Joe at joe@hisrodshop.com. Marty I could not email you you have a hidden email address
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bob Petti (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2005 09:50PM

I've taken to using Minwax Wipe-On Poly for coating inscriptions. I first spray the inscription with an artist's fixative (krylon), so that it won't smear. I then get the rod turning and use a stain clothe lightly soaked with the Wipe-On Poly. For a matte finish blank, the satin poly makes the inscription appear to be directly on the blank. It looks great. For gloss coat blanks, it takes a few coats to build up a nice gloss, and still it won't quite equal the lustre of an epoxy finish. Still - what you give up in high gloss you more than make up for in convenience and a guaranteed perfectly flat finish with minimal build up.

As always, I'm sure these techniques are not as durable as an epoxy coating, so if your rods are going to be bouncing around the bottom of a boat, I'd try something else. For fly rods, a thin coat of rub-on poly is plenty good enough for someone who takes reasonable care of their equipment.

I do the inscription, including the poly coat, before I do any wraps. I let the poly set for 24 hours or so and then do a trim wrap on each end, so that the edges of the poly are underneath thread wraps.

Bob

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 02, 2005 10:00PM

Every epoxy finish has it's learning curve. Some have an easier curve than others. Once you learn the finish you're using, you'll be able to do much longer than 2" with a perfect, flat coat. It all comes with experience.

Generally, too much finish will give the "waves" and if you put it on too thin, it is rough to the feel and light doesn't reflect off it in lines, either.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.37.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 03, 2005 08:58AM

I also put it on with a fast turner. Easyer to apply on long areas. Cool temperatures so it flows or levels.
No heat, this dries it to fast and does not let it Flow Out.
Two - three thin coats

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 03, 2005 12:25PM

...and you'll be able to easily do it in one coat.

Posted by: keith Tymchuk (---.harborside.com)
Date: April 03, 2005 07:58PM

My problem was in using TOO LITTLE FC Lite! Once I began using a more generous coat and smoothing with the side of a credit card I began getting very nice finishes on butt wraps and inscriptions.

So you might try even more...

Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster