I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Meet the Flockers
Posted by: Jeff Fultz (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2005 12:34AM

No, not the movie! I'd just like to know who has flocked grips besides Tom K.? I'd really like to see some more photos and read about experiences with self-flocking. I might have to try this out just to be able to feel what a flocked grip feels like. They kind of look like an exotic species of trout found in the extreme high Rocky Mountians....the Fur Trout!

Is anyone offering flocking services? has anyone flocked other items? I wonder if a flocked handle would work well on one of my long bows?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Meet the Flockers
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2005 06:37AM

Jeff,I dont have photos because the rod is gone but my first attempt came out great.The grips have a nice feel when done over cork(good use for the cork rings that dont make the grade and you have to use filler).As far trying it the basic kit is inexpensive and will go a long way.Like everything we all have our preferences so give it a try.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: April 01, 2005 07:27AM

Jeff.....the fur trout.....that's hilarious. I almost blew coffee out my nose.

I've been meaning to try it too. The kit is inexpensive and I have some low-grade cork I'd like to use up so, really, what do I have to lose. I'm actually not crazy about the way it looks but it could grow on me...sort of like fur on a trout.

Steve

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: April 01, 2005 08:26AM

Jeff,I was going to send out the reel seats we conversed about this morning for replating.I am holding off till later on and I flocked a piece of EVA and will send it to you as a sample so you can feel it for yourself.It will take a little to dry and I dont want the USPS to smell the glue and get suspicious.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 01, 2005 09:35AM

I have the air gun and it is working well. I am operating the thing at 22 psig. One fill of the canister will do two 10 inch 1 inch OD rear grips and two 3 inch foregrips without refilling. The only thing I have not solved as yet to my satisfaction is just how much to turn down the cork so there is a smooth transition between the reel seat and the butt cap. I am using the black fiber with a small amount of white added to get a salt and pepper effect. I am thinking about using oher colors but am wondering if the lighter and colors will slow small variations in the appearance of the surface. The black with black adhesive seems like the best choice until I can get everything like I want it. I am getting close after six but am not satisfied as yet. All the rods have sold - the customers liked the feel and did not notice the small flaw. I pointed it out to them and they did not seem to care as much as I did. I gave the first one to my dog to carry around in the yard - it is holding up surprisingly well!

I am also a little skittish on just how to clean up the oozed Rod Bond on both ends. I am kinda afraid that the use of denatured alcohol may wick down through the fibers into the adhesive and turn them loose. I am now using a burnt cork ring on the top end of the handle to give me an area that I can effectively clean without getting the Rod Bond on the flocked surface. On the butt end I have used the large post rubber butt plugs so all the clean up is on the end of the rod and not on the sides.

In general the flocking has been the easy part - more prep work is necessary on the cork that I am using than I am used to doing. I use preformed cork and usually just slap them together and use True Oil to finish. I think that if I can get this right it will be a valid reason for a customer to spend a few extra bucks on a custom rod. The way the pricing of the production rods has hit bottom I need all the edge I can get. I hope the Koreans do not start spraying flock too soon!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 01, 2005 09:52AM

Bill,

The other colors will look just as good as the black does. I've done some light tan flock on fly rod grips and from 10 feet away you can't tell it from natural cork as far as the color goes. The .050" fibers are so short that you shouldn't have to go very far undersize. The first fibers were twice as long and you really had to allow for them when fitting caps or burl rings. It's not nearly as important now with the shorter fibers.

Your dog is an excellent test vehicle for the durability of flocked grips. If he can't chew the stuff off in a matter of days then I doubt any of us can fish it off in a matter of years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster