I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Matte Finish
Posted by: Travis Gentzler (---.126.78.64.susc.suscom.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 05:53PM

Is there any rod finishes that are not gloss? Have a guy who wants a fly rod built, but would like a matte finish if possible. I never seen any, but thought someone might have. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Matte Finish
Posted by: Joe Hamel (---.dialup.wisc.edu)
Date: March 31, 2005 06:27PM

Travis
There are a number of blanks that come with a matte finish.
H&H has one in the IM6, and XT51 blanks, Rainshadow RX8, Cabelas FT, St. Croix SC3 all have matte finish.

Joe

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.140.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 07:00PM

i think the pac bay tradition II blanks, new version, are now in matte grey. dan craft has at least one line in matte grey too.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Travis Gentzler (---.126.78.64.susc.suscom.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 07:13PM

I'm sorry. I didn't explain good enough. I need the finish for the wraps. Doing a St. Croix SC V which is matte grey. Just need something matte for the thread.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.140.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 07:18PM

ah HAH! something similar was asked on a kayak fishing board in recent months. i suggested asking here. i'm looking forward to these replies now... :-)

one possible solution. regular glossy finish, then very lightly (and carefully) sanded after it's dry... that's how they do matte sanded blanks too, isn't it?

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 10:05PM

I don't know if this would work or not, but you can buy flattening agent from auto paint shops. It could be added to the epoxy for a matte or satin finish. Maybe. Worth a shot.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 10:14PM

Wonder if (after carefully masking off the guides and blank) a coat or two of Krylon Spray Fixatif (which is matte) would hold up for the long haul. I'm going to test that and see how it lasts
Dave.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 10:30PM

Way back when, when I was into plastic models there was a matte spray for gloss paints. Offhand I don't remember the brand, but if you have a local hobby shop they will probably be able to get you what you need. It worked great.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 10:45PM

Mick,
It was probably something similar to the Krylon Spray Fixatif. The particles create a waterproof, solid and strong plastic coating. It's like Krylon Crystal Clear but in a dull (Matte ) finish.
Dave

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.25.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 01, 2005 10:42AM

Minwax spar urethane comes in a non gloss
[www.minwax.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster