I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glued on rod guides
Posted by: Andrew Horvath (---.bay.webtv.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 01:46PM

I understand many off the shelf (not custom) rods have glued on guides, how is this process done? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glued on rod guides
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2005 01:50PM

I'm not aware of any such things. You may want to look closer, most all are held on with thread. At one time, a few companies experimented wtih shrink tubing. Most of those went back to thread.

Date: March 31, 2005 02:34PM

I looked at all my rods,I see no sign of thread..

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 02:53PM

I've never seen one or heard of one like this. Many moons ago, they silver soldered guides on the steel rods, but I've never seen rods with guides glued on??

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 03:12PM

Andrew
What is the name on the rod? I'm not aware of any companies who are only gluing guides onto blanks. What I (and likely several other
people) have seen are the guides placed on the rods with thread, no color preserver and then UV cure finish over the top. I believe that those
are done that way for the sake of speed from wrap to finish. I"m interested in the name on the rod so I can go look at one maybe buy one
and take the guide off to see how it is attached. Thanks

Date: March 31, 2005 03:53PM

I looked at CastAway, Daiwa and Allstar..I saw no sign of thread. the coating looks perfect, A few of these rods cost 50 bucks or less and are make in China so I would think their would be a flaw some where..

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 04:04PM

Andrew,
I will bet a nickle that what you see is a wrap put on with epoxy and no color preserver and the color of the thread is very close to the color of the blank. It will look like there is no thread but if you get it in very good light and look close you will see it.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 04:13PM

Andrew,

If you can't see thread then whoever wrapped your rods did a good job. I've seen some that looked painted, but when stripped it was thread.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.132.159.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 04:24PM

when i first started reading about rodbuilding, i was amazed to read that thread was used to attach guides. i ran and closely inspected my rod. wow, THAT was THREAD? maybe this is what's happening to you... ? ;-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2005 04:35PM

I have a feeling that you are looking at thread and just don't know it. I had some guys come into my shop once and ask for the "tape" that you used to put guides on with. I explained that it was thread covered by epoxy. They told me that I didn't know what I was talking about. I took an older rod that was in for repair and nicked one end of the wrap with a razor and then proceeded to unwind the thread. They were amazed and couldn't believe that it actually was thread until they watched me unwind it.

Date: March 31, 2005 06:11PM

I looked at my rods pretty close, it doesn't look like thread to me.I no longer wrap rods but I have done a few in the past..I could be wrong, thanks for the replys This is a great site..

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.140.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 07:12PM

1) andrew, you've looked at more than one rod of yours and they all appear to be glued on? or in another way, non of them appear to be wrapped with thread. odds are against all of them being something seemingly unconventional (not thread wrapped) to the people monitoring this forum. possible, but probability is what we're guessing at.

2) you've wrapped rods before. did you apply thread epoxy coatings to them too so you would know what epoxied thread looks like?

3) despite the consensus here that what andrew is looking at are really thread wrapped guides, there is the possibility that these are not attached in the manner we are familiar with and possibly ARE glued on. andrew, do you have photos you could share?

where did you hear that off the shelf rods have glued on guides?

kind of puzzling....

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: March 31, 2005 08:16PM

I can't send a photo, I read about glued on rods guides on Bass Fishing Home Page (rods and reels) Kistler was one of the rods in question, at this point I am beginning to doubt if glued on guides were/are used..They reason I posted here was to verify the use of glued on guides because I never heard of them...I am sure you guys would know..

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: March 31, 2005 09:47PM

I'm in agreement that I think it only 'looks' like the guides are glued on. I always have people ask me what kind of paint I used to cover the guide feet. Andrew, when you apply epoxy over the thread that holds the guides on it has a tendency to meld everything together. It sort of 'melts' the individual threads into a seamless object...especially when you use smaller threads like size A. It turns your thread wraps into something that looks more like paint.

Jay

Posted by: Grant Darby (164.116.100.---)
Date: April 01, 2005 10:36AM

Maybe what you read referred to using glue to adhere the guides to the blank prior to wrapping???

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: April 01, 2005 05:41PM

Some rods wrapped with NCP thread, such as light blue, look like one contiguous wrap, giving the appearance the guide was wrapped with blue tape. But I think that speaks very well of the rod builder.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster