I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide near male ferrule
Posted by: Gary Leone (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 07:43PM

When measuring my guides from the tip of a 4 piece 9' 5 wt., one of the single foot guides ends up about 3/4" from where the male ferrule stops entering the female portion. I have read here that some prefer a guide on the female ferrule, but is it a problem to have one 3/4" from the male end? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide near male ferrule
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-04-05rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 07:54PM

i think that from the standpoint of looks it would be better to locate it on the female side and use the wrap as the reinforcement wrap of the female. a 3/4" adjustment in quide spacing is no big deal in my humble opinion. others may differ. either way i don't think its a structural problem but you will end up with two wraps close together if you leave it on the male side. that might look clunky.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2005 10:07PM

I would also move it up and onto the female ferrule end. Shouldn't require much jostling of the other guides.

Posted by: Gary Leone (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 08:10AM

Thanks guys, I will move it to the female ferrule and adjust the others towards the tip.

I also have a problem with a guide ending up about 1/2" past where I want a ferrule wrap to end. If I extend the ferrule wrap the 1/2" to get to the foot of the guide and then add the wraps to the guide foot I think this will look way to tacky/long. I believe I have read to never move a guide towards the butt of the rod, only towards the tip. Would it be a problem to just move the guide towards the butt so I can just include it on the ferrule wrap? Thanks again.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 10:16AM

Gary,
The number and positioning of guides is primarily driven by the need to distribute the stress on the rod. The stress will roughly increase or decrease directly with the distance between the guides. For example, if you move a guide so that it increases the distance from 9 inches to 10 inches from the previous guide you will have only increased the stress by approximately 10%. That is a long winded way of saying, don't worry about 1/2 inch. It is very unlikely to have any significant negative impact.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: March 31, 2005 04:40PM

Move the guide down onto the ferrule and adjust the others accordingly. A little longer ferrule & guide wrap is actually a good thing with a single foot guide as long as the total wrap is no more than about 1/3 longer than the wrap above it. A wrap exactly the "proper" length looks too short as the female ferrule drops down to the cojoined male. I tend to make ALL my single foot wraps about a 1/3 too long so that it looks just right on the ferrules. The longer wraps help "blend" the guides into the blank on the smaller tip section. Short feet and wraps make those tip guides look like footballs.

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: April 01, 2005 07:08AM

Guides should not be located on female tip over butt ferrules. Anglers tend to "use" the guide to loosen the ferrule to disassemble rod and thus the guide is most likely to be damaged over time.

Date: April 01, 2005 09:59AM

Yes they do, but guides should still be located on ferrules whenever possible. The greatest amount of stress always occurs exactly halfway between any pair of guides. Therefore, having a guide directly on the ferrule reduces the stress on that joint.

I have built many rods where the ferrule fell directly between a pair of guides. This is acceptable and shouldn't cause any problems provided that you are using enough guides that the stress created between that pair won't be enough to damage the ferrule. I think that unless you are really using far too few guides, this isn't normally a problem, however.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: April 01, 2005 03:30PM

On about 9 of 10 rods that I build on 2 piece blanks, I'm able to get the guide on the female tip-over butt ferrule. I've never had to replace one of these guides in over 20 years of building except when it was smashed by stepping on it or whatever. Yes, anglers have used the guide to break down these rods even after I've asked them not too, but as yet, no problems with it.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: April 01, 2005 05:08PM

And... a forhan locking wrap would pretty much ensure they'll never be able to twist or turn the guide anyway. But it's at least worth a try to caution them about using any guide as a handle for dis-assembly of a rod. Even if the guide is several inches past the ferrule, many guys will just grab that one and attempt to use it that way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster