I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

desperately seeking help...
Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 07:27PM

I finished a surf rod for a customer and it came out beautiful! Diamond wrap and guide wraps are flawless. As a final step I decided to put the Lamigals water decal on the rod even though I make it a habit to not use decals. Laid out the decal, let it dry and then put a coat of Flex Coat high build on it the next day. When the finish dried I looked at the decal and it had completely lifted with the exception of a thin line down the middle of the decal. It looks pretty bad. Question. How can I remedy the situation? I can't put wraps over the area because the sticker is about three inches long and it would look like I tried to cover it up because it is between the diamond wrap and the customer's name. Can't put a decal on top because I don't like decals to begin with. Can I safely sand it down and then recoat with finish? How would I go about sanding it? Tried using a Dremmel tool with a wire brush and that seemed to take off the epoxy but I am nervous what that would do to the blank. Help me, please...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: desperately seeking help...
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2005 07:48PM

The only safe way to sand that area is by block sanding. Wrap some sandpaper around a wood block and and go about it that way. That will guarantee you a flat and even surface when done.

After you've done that, you can decide whether to just refinish the area, make a thread wrap over it, apply another decal, etc.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 07:49PM

Did you try just plain peeling the epoxy off? It usually doesn't stick the blank itself that well.

Date: March 30, 2005 08:07PM

What grit # sandpaper would you suggest?
Thanks for you replies!

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 10:44PM

Scott,

I use 400 then 600 then 800

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.153.191.134.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 04:06AM

Bummer. I have had this very same situation to me, also on a lami blank. All is not lost. Since then I use color preserver to bond the decal to the blank before applying finish.

I taped off the area on either side of the decal/finish with several layers of masking tape. Warmed the finish and removed the finish - used a utility knife to scrape the finish off. Yes, it is safe IF DONE CAREFULLY AND PROPERLY. I scraped off everthing down to the bare blank, the utility knife scraped everything off and i did not have to sand anything. Hold the knife exactly perpendicular and do not attempt to "shave" the material off, or make a sawing motion. Scrape only in long strokes.. I removed the tape and cleaned area with alcohol. I then applied a very thin coat of finish to recoat the area whose factory finish I had scraped off, covering area exactly to the edges of the scraped off area. Let cure while rotating. The repair edges are still visible at this point. The next day I applied another decal using color preserver. Let dry. Then recoated area with a coat of finish. This last coat's edges right over the edges of the repaired area. The repair is invisible., even under magnification. I may have another lami decal laying around if yout want it. I'll check in the morning since I am not near the rod bench at the moment. email me if you want it.

Lou

Date: March 31, 2005 06:59AM

Lou,
Thanks for the offer for the extra decal and the advice on how to fix the rod. I tried to email you but your address comes up as "hidden". Can you send your email address to smL768@optonline.net. Thanks!

Scott

Posted by: shai plummer (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 08:30AM

You can also use MEK to soften the epoxy and peel it off with your thumbnail , this will work especially if you only have one coat of epoxy , and not too thick . You don't have to scrub the mek on just wipe the whole area down with it and let it sit a little , then scrape a little , try to get a leading edge , and use more mek as needed . Sometimes using heat to remove epoxy also removes the paint from your blank , and sandpaper will too . Mek can also remove paint from the blank but it won't do it as fast as heat or sandpaper will. Wear gloves it's nasty stuff.

Shai

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 10:23AM

Scott,
In the future when you apply a large decal like the one you have applied you may want to put a decorative wrap of some sort at each end of the decal so that the edge of the wrap just covers the end of the decal with a few wraps of thread. This will hold the decal in place and hold down the four corners of the decal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster