I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CP and decorative wraps
Posted by: Jim Fitzpatrick (---.naes.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 12:39PM

I hate to ask a question that I think I know the answer to but...

I am fairly new to rod building. I am working on a rod that is matt black on which I am using garnet (dark red) thread with a silver decorative wrap at the start of the normal wrap. I used the technique where the decor wrap thread runs under most of the length of the garnet wrap to secure one end. I was not wanting to use color preserver (exempt on the silver decor wrap to hold it in place as I work the rod). I am about half done putting on the wraps. It dawned on me that if I do not use CP, the silver thread under the garnet thread will show up like a sore thumb as the garnet will go transparent.

Is that right? If yes, I guess I had better change my plans and put CP over the whole wrap. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CP and decorative wraps
Date: March 30, 2005 12:43PM

No sooner do I post this question than I see Tom Doyle basically answer the question in the Trip Wrap post below.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 02:55PM

Jim: Yup. Looks like you either need to re-do the wraps, or go ahead and use CP. You're aware that with CP the color will be a lot different, close to how it looks on the spool now. I've seen plenty of commercial rods where they just let the metallic tag ends show through, but I sure don't like how that looks.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 08:39PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I see nothing wrong with the tag end showing thru if you are getting the translucent color effect that you wish with the garnet thread. I would be certain however that the tag end is uniform and in the same plane on all guides giving the over all appearance of uniform and professional craftmanship. A gold trim would offer less a noticeable contrast in your case but I like silver trim as well with garnet.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Date: March 31, 2005 09:11AM

I have thought more about it and agree that if had thought ahead, I could have placed the silver thread in the proper location and in the way you suggest, it would have looked fine (been relatively unnoticable). This is unfortunately not the case. I'll go with CP this time in spite of the fact I wanted the translucent look. I would rewrap but I was using CP to nail down the decorative wraps all along and think I might have a mess on my hands if I tried to remove all of it. Chalk this one up to inexperience.

If having fishing rod wraps that are not quite the right color is my worst problem, I'll consider myself one of the luckiest people on earth.

Thanks for the advice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster