I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ticking ferrules
Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.154.44.88.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 07:42PM

Is it normal? If not what causes it? And how can you prevent it? I have two fly rods that do it, one factory one custom... Both are “high end rods”. Neither of them did it when they were brand new. Might be worth mentioning that none of my less expensive rods do it at all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ticking ferrules
Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.wa.charter.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 12:03AM

Hello Mike
Clean and lube the ferrules. Use U-40 Ferrule Lube it has instructions with it. You can obtain it from several sponsors on the left. Ferrule will wear for all rods especially if they are not kept clean. Even with cleaning they should be lubed to prevent excessive wear. You can clean them with cotton squabs and Alcohol but this will not lube them. When I use the term lube it does not mean oiling or waxing or whatever. Use U-40 Ferrule Lube as it will work very well. Then the ferrrules will go togeather firmly and will only come apart when you want them to. It should be used a couple of times per season and more often if the rod is used daily- I suggest once every couple of weeks.
Regards Joe Kassuba

His Rod Shop
Joe Kassuba

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2005 08:35AM

If they didn't do it when new, then the ferrule fit was good and even with wear they shouldn't develop those "ticks" which are indicative of poor ferrule fit. Joe is probably right and you've got a build up of something that even though hard to see, is there and is preventing the ferrules from fully seating along their length. Try a good cleaning and see if that helps. If not, there are ways to re-fit bad fitting ferrules.

Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.nissan-usa.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 08:39AM

Thanks Joe! I was trying to figure out what could be the cause last night. I was using a wax that St Croix sent with a rod but it was hard as soap. I decided to try some lite tack dubbing wax instead, it worked! I have not been cleaning the ferrules, only waxing them. I usually get the rod out every day weather permiting, and practice cast. I will start a routine cleaning and waxing with U-40 from now on for all my rods.
Good info Joe, and thanks again.

Sombody has to teach us greenhorns.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 09:05AM

Mike,
Absolutely do not wax your ferrules. Despite what the "gurus" at the rod manf. would have you believe, wax is the worst thing you can use on a ferrule. Wax collects dirt, grit, grime sand etc...which in turn wears on your ferrule fit. Simply use U-40 Ferrule lube regularly, to maintain the fit and decrease the wear .

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: March 30, 2005 10:02AM

Andy beat me to it. Also, male ferrules seat deeper if you lightly twist them into place. I have a nickel silver set and it seats 1/4 deeper when twisted. I found this out because the male was blued to that point.

Date: March 30, 2005 10:11AM

All glass to glass and graphite to graphite ferrules should be seated by bringing the piece together mis-aligned by 90 degrees and when snug, twisted into place and final alignment.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 11:42AM

Tom is correct in the manner to put the sections together. This technique is what we refer to as a bayonet fit. I know at least this is the practice we use when trimming the sections to fit. If assembled differently then they would not seat as far.

Todd

Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.nissan-usa.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 12:17PM

Will do Andy. This has been a problem for me for a long time. I think you guys have got me on the right path now. It amazes me how many inaccurate instructions there are out there about fly rod upkeep, casting, etc, etc, and fishing rods in general. What about furniture polish to clean them, is that one wrong too?

Thanks!

Date: March 30, 2005 12:47PM

I don't think you'd want to use furniture polish for cleaning nor would you want something that slick on the ferrule mating surfaces. I'd just use some isopropyl alcohol to clean things with and if you want to lube/protect them, then use U-40 Ferrule Lube.

Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.bayou.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 07:31PM

Don,

If those nickel silver ferrules are on a bamboo rod, please do NOT twist them together. You can very quickly damage the bamboo. If you continue having seating nickel silver ferrules on a bamboo rod the male-female fit needs to be re-worked. I have a little print out on re-fitting the nickel silver ferrules on bamboo rods that I will be happy to send to you or anyone who asks.

Harry Boyd

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 07:59PM

I always find this topic interesting to read about. This past winter I returned a rod to a well respected blank manufacturing sponsor. I was having difficulty with one of the ferrules. He test cast the rod for awhile, and sent it back with a small tub of paraffin wax to apply to the ferrule.

Jeff Shafer

Date: March 31, 2005 10:58AM

In a near future issue of RodMaker, we'll have an article on how to properly fit and re-fit poor fitting ferrules.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster