I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mixing Epoxy Problem
Posted by: Ted DeMatteo (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 05:22PM

I was mixing up a batch of Devcon epoxy (30 minute) last night and to mkae sure I got it just right I had two half ounce tubes and I decided to mike all of it for a total of one ounce (I had four rods at the same stage so it seemed reasonable). I squeezed them both out into one of those little 2oz styrene cups you buy for mixing. Three minutes for stirring and I was ready to go. After taking a fews dabs out fo the container I put my wooden mixer back in and half of it was in a ball and hard. It looked like a piece of butter melting in a pot. Total elapsed time 10 minutes. I am a chef so my immediate reaction was to grab the container and vigorously try to remix it to get it to seperate again. When I grabed the cup it was starting to melt from the chemical reaction and soon I had a mess everywhere not to mention some nasty burns. Did I try to mix too much at once? One ounce did not seem unreasonable.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mixing Epoxy Problem
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 05:46PM

The only time I ever tried a quick setting epoxy, I had to cut nearly three inches off the rod butt because I couldn't get the reel seat insert down all the way in time. I haven't used anything except Rod Bond since. It has a nice long pot life and I don't have to hurry. It does take quite a while to set up, but for me that's a small trade-off. I know the chemical reaction of resin and hardener generates heat. Maybe the volume was such that it generated too much heat and that's what caused it set up so fast, and melt the mixing cup.

Posted by: Ted DeMatteo (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 05:55PM

I just read the MSDS sheet on the Devcon website. It is some kind of "runaway cure reaction". It scared the crap out of me. At one point it got so hot I thought it was going to ignite. Maybe some contaminant but it was a sealed package, like form Lowes, a clean cup, and a wooden popsicle type stick out of a sealed bag. Whow.......

Posted by: Fred Duncan (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 05:59PM

In the many years that I've been away from rodbuilding, from my viewpoint, Rod Bond is one of the greatest advancements made! I'm still wanting to buy the guy who developed it a drink. To think, that I was going to glue cork with 30 minute devcon before finding this site and the RB product! What a disaster that would've been.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 06:55PM

I love the Rod Bond too. One of the best "finds" I've made on Tom's wonderful site.

I think that had you mixed that stuff, then laid it out flat on some cardboard, it wouldn't have built up the heat to the point that it did. And the more heat, the faster it sets up. Probably just the sequence of events; mixing more than normal and leaving it in a small container where everything just worked against you, Ted.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Bob Mahoney (70.84.56.---)
Date: March 29, 2005 07:41PM

When you put that much "hot" epoxy into that small and confined space the heat will build up with no way to release or dissipate.

Next time, use a larger container and spread it out a bit more. That should keep the heat down a bit. Rod Bond takes longer to set so it doesn't build up as much heat as the 30 minute epoxies.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 08:52PM

Bonding epoxy should be mixed on a flat palet and folded together.Heat buildup is then reduced therefor increasing the work time.I would be curious to know if the package instructions say to mix on flat surface.Thanks for the heads up though we can never hear too many stories like this that we dont learn from.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Adam Hoelper (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 09:32PM

Try using aluminuim diamond plate turned flat side up to mix epoxy. It get rid of the heat quickly

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 30, 2005 07:06AM

Ted, your problem was defintely the confinement in the container. It's always best to mix quick setting epoxy on a flat surface. I cut up old cardboard boxes into squares just for this purpose, and I've never had epoxy "flash" using this method. Just in case, it's not a bad idea to have a small fire extinguisher on hand.

Posted by: Ted DeMatteo (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 10:08AM

Well, once again I learn something new and this site proves to be the best. I have always used an old piece of cardboard or glossy printed material junk mail I get so much of. This was the first time I used a small container as I knew the porportions would be extremely accurate and the container was right at hand. Thanks to all.

As a side note, Devcon was very helpful with responding and providing information.

Ted

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster