I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay Tradition
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 09:52AM

In case you haven't noticed, Pac Bay is changing the color of the Tradition blanks to Matte Gray. I, for one am really bummed out by this. Maybe if we all protest, they won't do it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay Tradition
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 10:06AM

I'm tickled to death; I really like these blanks and the plum color totally limited the thread work I could do on them. Sorry, Gerry, but I love the idea!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 10:41AM

I'm with you Gerry. I have never built that blank as a fly rod but 2/3 s of the spinning rods I have built have been on the Tradition due to the plum color on a good competitive blank. Beside that the color is complementary to my wood if not to Putter's thread. Beside that if you have garnet thead and gold metallic trim thread why would you search further! Surely not for purple!

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2005 11:14AM by Stan Grace.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 10:47AM

As much as I respect youPutter, I will have to go with Gerry on this subject. I really like the plum color. But then it would be a boring world if we all agreed on everything. At least we won't have to mass our opposing armies while wearing our code of arms and go at each other with tie-off loops, brushes and burnishing tools.
Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 11:18AM

Stan,
Try the 7'9" 3 weight, it's a really nice rod. Better yet, let's go fishing this summer and I'll let you try mine.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 11:26AM

That sounds like a good deal!

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Kirk Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 12:01PM

That is a bummer they are changing the color. I have a Pac Bay Tradition that I use for Kings up here in Alaska. It is tough as nails, and I get all sorts of compliments on the color, and rod in general. DOesn't hurt that it matches the color on my truck either..........:)

Posted by: Rod Engel (---.gw.rrv.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 01:10PM

plum for me

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 05:34PM

I have to get in an order a Plum blank before they change. You can get grey in just about any make of blank. Sorry Putter but I'm with the other guy's.

Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.dsl.spfdmo.swbell.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 08:15PM

I really like the plum color as well. The first rod I built was a pac bay tradition. Kind of a bummer. Grey just seems so ordinary. Especially matte gray.
Greg

Date: March 29, 2005 10:06PM

I guess I'm just partial to Pac Bay as a company on the whole and this blank not being available in black or white just always had me bummed.

I guess I've just been a long time advocate that other than white or black blanks, any other color should be an option, not the standard. With black or white, any color thread will go with it. When I find a blank that I and my customers like, I might build 100 of them in a year and a half. With this plum color, it just killed my creativity on those 100 rods that I might've been able to do, guys.

I sure see the other side, too. It's a beauty of a color, no doubt. But I'm sure you can see where I come from on this, too. At least I hope that we can all see the sides to it!! Have a great one to all of ya!

Putter

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 10:26PM

Putter, from what I've seen of your work, you can do just about anything with any color. I do agree with you that colored blanks do limit our options to a ccertain extent but some colors are just exceptional to work on. I like a little variety at times.

Regards

Date: March 29, 2005 10:57PM

Yeah, Mark, I do enjoy working on a colored blank at times, too. And thanks for the nice comment, too!!

This Pac Bay Tradition blank goes well past it's beautiful color, though. It's a tremendous value blank and makes up into a fine, strong fishing tool. I'll now be able to stock 30 or 40 of them and be able to use them much more than I've been able to in the past.

The best to you, Outback
Putter

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 11:09PM

Putter,
I have to agree with you on the quality and price of the Pac Bay blanks. One of my friends is a local distributor and I get my blanks from him. I build a few of those for my sons and nephews. If the company does go to black the rest of us will know how I felt when Fenwick stopped selling their S glass blanks. There are still a few old timers that like those blanks for popping rods and crank bait rods. We used to buy those blanks for $15 and with a nice diamond wrap sell them for $150.

Date: March 30, 2005 12:42AM

Someone (sponsor here) had a few select sizes on sale not long ago at that price, Ellis. I found out too late and couldn't get any that would work for me. I was amazed at the price. Great quality and value at the regular price, though, and I have no problem paying that for these blanks at all.

But at least the same blank will be available, Ellis. Without having to color it, they probably won't have to increase their prices (maybe) this year, too. With oil prices going crazy, I don't doubt that everything is going to see an increase, though...

Cheers to you, Ellis
Putter

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 12:48AM

Guess I might have to find a local auto body shop that can do a nice Plum Imron finish for me, or learn to do it myself with Permagloss.

Date: March 30, 2005 01:01AM

That Testor's "purple" metallic might be close, Gerry. Mixed in with Permagloss and wiped on, it might be a bit prettier yet with the metallic in it!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster