I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jackie Pratt: did you build the spinning rod on the fly rod blank?
Posted by: Joe Doyle (167.3.57.---)
Date: March 29, 2005 08:33AM

Jackie, I read your posting from December about wanting to build a spinning rod on a fly rod blank. Did you ever do it? If so, how did it turn out?

Here's the link for the original posting for anyone interested.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jackie Pratt: did you build the spinning rod on the fly rod blank?
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (162.136.193.---)
Date: March 29, 2005 12:32PM

Joe, I have built four of them, 3-7'6" 2wt and one 6' 3wt, all St Croix AVID's, all Concept guide system, three with AMTAK holos and one with Fuji Alconites, am into a fifth right now, all repeat customers. Used Cabelas composite butt and fore grips with their woven graphite reel seats.

Warning, they are extremely fragile for spinning rods, one cutsomer has already broken same rod twice, not rod's fault, customer's, they must learn to handle them like fly rods.

Posted by: Dan L Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 01:23PM

Jackie,

I have built a number of my FT fly blanks into spin rods. They are very durable and we are standing behind the warranty. My first was a 6wt 10'0" model that I built into a long cast spin rod for small stream float fishing for steelhead. The guide at the lodge where I stayed liked it so much I left it with him. I am currently using an 8wt model in the same length for steelhead and like the feel very much!
We have 9'0" models in 4pc down to 2wt and a person could drop the butt and have a nice 3pc spin rod of just under 7'

Dan Craft
Dan Craft Enterprises

Ralph Jones
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.att.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 01:33PM

I'm building one now, a Cabela's PT 9ft. 3wt. 2pc. as a spinning rod for trout & panfish. With a reelseat (17mm. graphite) from 'Inserts by Les' with a trout on the reelseat insert. I'm using Fuji Alconite guides. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Jackie Pratt (---.townisp.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 02:41PM

Not yet! I've been making tons of rods, but they're all for other people, so I haven't had much time to consider making one for myself. When I do I'll be sure to post and let everyone know how it came out!

Jackie

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 09:17PM

Reading the posts on this reminds me of how far we have come on the custom rod business as far as supplies are concerned. I built my first rod about the time time Elvis left us. We had fiberglass for blanks and stainless steel for eyes. Fenwick was one of the few suppliers I had acess to. About the 3 rd rod I built I decided to get radical and try a new material called graphite. I decided to build an 8 ft , 7WT fly rod into a spinning rod. I also decided to use aluminum oxide eye as they were the latest rage.
I was living in north Florida and used it for salt water trout and small reds. I moved to Iowa where it caught lots of small mouth and trout(also in nearby Minn. and Wisconsin. I have been in Mississippi for 21 years and it acounted for quite a few large mouth, crappie and spotted bass before my ex wife slammed it in a tail gate.
We have the best equipment and supplies now that I have ever seen in the time I have been making rods.
Sam in Mississippi

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster