I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

live bait rod for big strippers
Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:35PM

Up until now I've only built fly rods so any tips, recomendations, suggestions are appreciated.

A friend of mine is looking for me to build him a mod-fast striper rod as described in a magazine article. It is for big fish using 12-14” live bait fish. The components for the rod are listed as:

Blank: CFC 84 H (Lamiglas?) or Lami BL 7050 LB 7’ 20-50 lb line

Guides: Fuji Sic Nitrate BHNNG sizes 3- 10LH, 2- 12LH, 1- 16LH, 1-20LH, and BHNNT tip top to fit.

Fuji reel seat DPSM size 20.

Butt grip 13”

Fore grip 4 ½ “

Does anyone know who sells these blanks?

Should I use cork, wood, or eva for the grips? (I do have a lathe)

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: live bait rod for big strippers
Posted by: Bryan Thompson (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:03PM

Last time I through live bait at a big stripper I got kicked by a bouncer then got thown out of a club and still haven't been invited back. My suggestion is go for the better looking petite stripppers and instead of live bait I use singles and happen to get a lot of action with those. I also heard 20's are hot right now but I can't afford that. (sorry just had to do it)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2005 07:41PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:42PM

Seeker CLB 704 or 706.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 08:59PM

Tony
MudHole carries Lamiglas and Seeker. Sounds like he's going to live-line eels around bridge pilings, rock piles and jetties. I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Lamiglas CC84-MH or CC84-H = 7 foot IM-6 blank rated 12-25 line (MH) or 12-30 line (H) for around $36.00. The comparable Seeker should be SLB-704 and SLB-706 (same ratings) at around $60.00 ; comparable CalStar is the GF700-XL (10-25) or GF-700L (15-30) at somewhere around 65-80.00. These are my favorites (CalStar E-Glass blank) 196L-7-B 7' Fast 10-15Lb. or 196-7-B 7' 1 Fast 15-20Lb either of them should sell for around $45.00. Lots of people use these in the Chesapeake Bay for live lining - they're a bit more forgiving than the graphite blanks (flex over
greater rod length). I think I'd recommend that the foregrip be made at least 6" long out of stiff EVA. Put a big striper (40-50 inches) on any of these rods and you're gonna want a little more room to switch hands on the foregrip 'cause it's gonna take some doing to get it to the boat.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:17PM

Hi Tony,

Without dout EVA for handles - Most of those rods take a beating. I build mostly Striper rods and use Fuji Sic Nitrate BHNNG guides. I spiral wrap all my rods and on a 7 footer I use the same guide setup as you but use 4- 10LH.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Date: March 27, 2005 09:47PM

The rod has to be pretty hefty to keep the bait under control which will be large porgies, blackfish, herring or anything else he can catch.

The Lami BL 7050 LB is rated for 20-50lb test and is a 7' tri-flex. I don't see that model on mudhole's site.

Will check out the blanks suggested.

I guess I should learn how to do a spiral wrap.

Thanks much for all the feed back. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Tony

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:54PM

HEY!! Make sure those Tog are in season & 14"+.

The 7050 is way overkill, I believe the model number is CGBT841H. The 841MH is the heaviest rod you'll need for this fishing, although the tip is quite stiff. You could check out the CGBT841M, very popular blank for what you want to do, as well as being a nice Blackfish rod. The M has a bit more tip than the MH - I have used the MH for Eels with 24oz of lead, and it held just fine. THe MH is good for up to 12oz. Just so you get an idea of what teh blanks are capable of on their higher limits. imo.

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.37.32.68.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:38PM

Tony, if your friend is strictly live baiting off a boat, I recommend a 20-50lb rated stand up tuna blank with an level wind reel. These blanks are great for lobbing heavy live bait and have plenty of backbone for any Striper or bluefish. They are short so they are a blast to fish with and being 6' or under they are easy to stow away in a small cabin. I have used both Seeker and Shakespeare blanks which have worked out great. I think I would spiral wrap the guides because I have some cracks in my finish from the blank flexing. Good luck! Ed

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 11:47PM

Thank you for stepping in there Bryan!

I used to do stand up comedy for a living (paid my way through school) and that opening was very tempting but I will leave it alone since the subject has been covered.

I like the fit ones myself.

Derek

Date: March 28, 2005 06:02AM

Freudian slip of the finger? Too much time building rods. I need to get out more.

Tony

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 06:49PM

Tony -
Please disregard the blanks I mentioned in my earlier post. If he's going to be live lining 14" FISH with really heavy weights then those that I passed you will not work well at all. I thought he was going to live line eels for stripers. If he's going to live line tog, baby blues, seatrout and such with a pound of lead there's no telling what will pick up the bait .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster