I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A Reel New Concept Guide Question
Posted by: Dennis Garmon (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:18PM

I have been playing with this system. I noticed right away different reels have a vast difference in the angle between the reel foot and the spindle. I have a US Reel, it has a spool ID of 55mm, so i figure a 30 for the first guide, there is 67in. from the reel seat to the tip, no problem this is a piece of cake so far. When I square the spindle with the edge of the bench the intersect point where the rod leaves the bench is 31in from the reel seat. The 1st #8 guide is 26 1/2in from the reel seat and a #30 high frame is just 10in from the reel seat. I tested it with a 25 low frame and it ended up 17in. from the reel seat. I looked around and found an Penn reel lying around put it on and lined up the spindle and there was no intersect point, the spindle was virtually parallel with the rod. My question is: What kind of formula do you use to get the best setup when the reel has an extreme angle?
Thanks,
Gar

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Reel New Concept Guide Question
Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 08:36PM

there is no formula. Remember gravity acts on the line as soon as it leaves the spool. When I cant find an intersect point I test cast it using the size 30 and then the size 25. durring both move the guide and record the best possible distance. I have found that by increasing the size of the choke guide I can add a few feet to the cast.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 08:39PM

In a situation like that, I just use an arbitrary "false intersect point" that allows for three or four small fly guides past that point to the tip. Typically, this involves placing the "intersect guide" about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way to the tip. I do this on the theory that reducing the size and weight of the guides quickly is a good thing. This has worked well in practice for me, I've built a number of well-performing (and good-looking) rods that way.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:20PM

I haven't done this yet, but ot has been posted before and seems to be a popular method. In this situation, many builders use the flex point of the blank as the intersect point..

Mike

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:59PM

This has always been a problem for me with the concept system. When matched to a particular reel, it is very good. But what happens if the reel is changed, like many anglers do? I've checked the intersect point on my own rods with different reels and the difference can be huge. Can the concept system have a negative effect in some cases? I don't know, but suspect it can. If in doubt, I generally use my mid range reel to "split" the difference. Does this offer any sort of advantage? I don't know.

I know it isn't the answer you are looking for, but I go with instinct. Once the line is tamed, use the smallest guides you can. The majority of what I build is a combination of cone of flight/concept system to compensate for the differences that may or may not happen when everything is not specified.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.an1.dca16.da.uu.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 08:33AM

As Mike M. said, building for a specific reel conveniently ignores that most anglers change reels every 2-4 years. Given that reels vary so widely in intercept angle, I believe a builder is smart to choose a middle ground when setting up the guides. A middle ground set up will work fine with both extreme angle and practically no angle reels. But if you set up for a nearly flat angle as is found on many big Penn and Diawa spinning reels, and the angler switches to a Shimano with a steep angle...

One of these days a reel seat company will design an adjustable seat (maybe using a torx screw on the underside of the reel seat foot) to let you angle the seat to match the reel to the first guide. It would be very simple to allow the rear hood to move up and down a few mm, and that's all it would take.

Posted by: Dennis Garmon (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 07:30PM

Thanks Everyone!!
Gar

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster