I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guides ?
Posted by: Kim Nordblad (---.elisa-laajakaista.fi)
Date: March 27, 2005 12:26PM

Hi folks. I´m about to build a 9´ med. action spinning rod for seatrout. I´m gonna use Kirkmans new guide concept (of course) and everything is clear exept for one thing, I´m on a budget and my customer is going to use braided line with the rod. My conserne is will the cheap hialoy´s hold up to the braided line? I dont want to do the wrapping again after a season or two becouse the guides didn´t hold up to the braided line. Will the hialoy´s hold up or should I pay the extra bucks for a set of zirkonium or silicone carbide guides, what do you folks think? They should probably do the job right but they will cost about three times the price of the hialoy´s. Your thoughts will be mutch appreciated, as allways. THANKS.
-Kim-

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guides ?
Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 12:46PM

I've not had any problem with braided lines cutting my hardloys or alconite, but those are Fuji rings and I don't know the hardness or quality of other companies rings. I really don't think the braided line will cut any good quality ceramic ring.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 01:17PM

I'm with William! I know charter captains on Lake Erie that troll for walleye & steelhead all day using cheap Shakespeare rods with Hialoy guides and braided line. The only guides that I have ever had to repair were bent/crushed from abuse

Mike

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 04:01PM

I'm with William and Mike. Have sturgeon rods that are twenty years old that have had nothing but superlines on them since they invented the stuff. Zero guide failures. There is nothing abrasive about these lines unless you fill them full of dirt and sand, and that's not your problem.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 04:28PM

Agree with the comments above. I'll add that you can use Fuji Hardloys, but I'd spend just a bit more and get Fuji Alconites - these are high frame guides that go especially well with the new concept system.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:39PM

I'm strictly freshwater and I've never seen a guide faillure due to line abrasion. Even on my early rods of 20 years ago used for pike, muskey and lake trout not only in clear lakes but muddy rivers with braided nylon, they are still being used. The only guides that have ever needed replacement were because they were broken/cracked, not worn. Just my .02 but I think that there has been way too much bruhaha over guide resistance to abrasion. Not saying that it can't happen, just that if anything it is the exception, not the rule.

Posted by: Jay McCarthy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 08:50AM

So just curious, why then bother with more expensive guides? If the lower end Hialoy or Alconites will do just fine then why spend upwards of $200 for a set of the Fuji Cermet?

Granted they may be smoother hence making them cast better, but does that $180+ price difference matter that much?

Posted by: Jay McCarthy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 08:54AM

Correction on my last post. The Cermet is a bad example, they are 60-65% lighter than the steel rings, so those will make a much lighter rod. But how about compared to SIC or other higher priced steel guides?

Is everybody just paying for the name and "prestige"?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster