I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

LS Supreme
Posted by: Fred Nave (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 11:49AM

I have been using LS Supreme to finish several rods and have been quite pleased with its properties. I have noticed that after a while the hardener darkens and takes on a honey-like color. My concern is does this effect the quality or appearance of the finish after applied? Is my experience unique or have others shared in it? Is there away to correct this or should I even be concerned?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LS Supreme
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 12:21PM

No need for concern as all epoxy hardeners turn color with light and time. LS remains clear better than most over time with Glass Coat being another of the clearer epoxies.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 12:54PM

The thickness of the hardener in the bottle makes it much darker than it will be when actually put on the rod in so much thinner thickness. Pour some hardener out on a piece of glass and look at it again. It will appear clear as water. Don't worry about it.

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.ec.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 05:28PM

I got 8oz of the stuff if anybod wants it.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:35PM

Clyde your email is hidden, email me. I'll take that LS Supreme if you want to give it away!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 03:06AM

Never had a problem with the darkness of the hardner. The finish product is great.

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 08:24AM

My address is no longer hidden.

I just can't use a finish that I can't torch.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 01:11PM

Not long ago I ordered some LS Supreme to try. The hardener was quite amber when I got it but I mixed it up and tried it on some wraps on a scrap blank. It was ok on the wraps but didn't level very well, in my opinion. But, what really did it for me was the stuff left on the aluminum foil. After it was lo longer tacky, I was able to peel it off the foil and it was anything but clear. I'll use it as a first coat on dark guide wraps, but that's all.

Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.dhcp-bl.indiana.edu)
Date: March 28, 2005 01:16PM

I've had a similar experience to Gerry's. My hardener is quite dark and the leftovers in the pan are not clear after curing. I don't think its going to matter all that much on the wraps I'm doing on this rod. Unlike Gerry, I found the LS supreme to level very nicely and look forward to using it some more.

Peter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster