I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Guide concept
Posted by: Jim Gerst (165.83.174.---)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:49AM

I would like to use the new guide concept on a 10' 6" surff rod I am getting ready to start. From the wording in the articals I have read on how to do it I am not sure about one thing, the intersect point.
Do you lay the full length of the rod on the table edge? Or do you alow a stright line with the real spindle determin where it crosses the rod blank to be the intersect point, where you set your smallest and lowist guides.

Thanks and Happy Easter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Guide concept
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2005 11:20AM

The reel spool spindle wil be on the table edge. The rod blank butt will be up above and on the table somewhere and at some point, the blank itself will cross or intersect with the table edge. That is the intersect point.

Posted by: Dick Murchison (204.60.102.---)
Date: March 27, 2005 11:20AM

Jim,

I lay the rod on the table and take a straight edge (long T square for sheetrock) and line it up with the pole. I then take the reel without the spool and tie string on the reel center bolt. Put the string as close to the base (reel) as you can so when you pull the string out to intersect with the rod ( and Straight edge), you will notice the string in line with the reel nut. Basically you want to make a triangle, the rod is one side, the string from the reel is another, and the length from the rod to the center of the reel is the other. If the rod you are building is longer than the length of a straight edge, you can put it on the edge of the table. I just make sure that the reel handle is removed and I secure the rod with something so it does not fall. By removing the reel handle, I find that it will lay closer (flat) to the table.

Hope this is not confusing and hope it helps you.
dick

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 11:26AM

It's where the line extended from the reel's spindle intersects the rod, that is regardless of the length of the blank. On a long surf rod, that intersection point will likely be well before you get near the tip. You use the edge of the table as way of constructing that line from the spindle, the blank crosses over the table edge at the intersection point.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:41PM

It depend upon the reel!! I just tried one where there was no intersect point at all. Actually it would have been about 2 feet beyond the tip. I ended up using a generic setup and static deflection. Turned out OK!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2005 08:22PM

Whatever point you choose for the intersect point, continue to use the table or suitable straightedge to size and space the guides. It is the straight line path that is important, not so much the intersection point location.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster