I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
pull loop
Posted by: Carrington Tate (---.228.156.146.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:10AM

Good morning to all,

What does everyone use for a pull loop? I have been using Fireline in 6 lb test, but it seems to leave its color behind on my wraps where i pull it through. I tried cleaning it with alcohol, but it didn't help. I wrap with pretty good tension, so i need something strong. Any suggestions? Thanks to all and to Tom for the forum.

Happy Easter,

Carrington

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pull loop
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:22AM

I've used mono, Tufline (white uncoated), but I just usually use the tag ends of the threads I've been wrapping with, always seems to be lots of that around if I drop a loop or I've used it enough to worry about it's strength.

Posted by: Al Wasser (---.clsp.qwest.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:28AM

I use 4 or 5X tippet material. Yes I break one once in a while. I suppose I could use 6-8 # mono if I had some. The only problem With tippet is you have to put a piece of tape or something on it or you can't find it when you set it down

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.102.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:28AM

I put some clear mono on a thread spool and use that. It does get lost often, eyes are not what they used to be LOL The nylon thread is nice and smooth

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:31AM

I just use a small section of "D" thread in a contrasting color of the wraps. Works fine.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Date: March 27, 2005 09:42AM

Easy to find on the table ??!!

Posted by: frank rolling (---.qc.sympatico.ca)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:43AM

tie mono loop to midpoint of a 3" wood dowel...easy to pull
paint dowel any bright color and it always be easy to find..
frank

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:55AM

I use very soft / thin trolling wire tied to a bright (flourescent orange) rigging bead. Easy to grip / hard(er) to loose. As an alternative I also use
6lb spiderline (flat micro-fiber fishing line) - also tied to a bead. I didn't like it for fishing line but for tie off loops it works well.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.151.208.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:15AM

I just use 6" of the thread I am wrapping with.

Tight lines,

Art

Date: March 27, 2005 10:15AM

Bill,

No not easy to find on the table mixed in with the cut off thread but I have a place near my spool that I hang it on after the pull through. Just have to teach yourself to hang it up when not in use. I make & keep 6 loops all the time and can go for weeks without loosing a loop. My son-in-law comes down to wrap and he will loose all 6 in about a 1/2 hr. But he married my daughter - that shows you smart he is - LOL

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:17AM

I think your all missing his question. PROBLEM; COLOR LEFT BEHIND ........
Could it be the surface of what the wrapping thread is going over? the wrapping thread it self? what type thread ? How about the use of color lock ? .... Remember it is stated " alot of tension"....... The guy can find his thread/pull loop , but something is leaving color behind.....am I reading the question correctly ?
Dave

Date: March 27, 2005 10:30AM

I think everyone is answering his question. His 1st question is "What does everyone use for a pull loop?" We answered that question. His last question is "Any suggestions?" Yes use something other than Fireline and I think these other gentlemen have answered that question too.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Date: March 27, 2005 10:31AM

Carington
I have just found some "D " nylon. Since you washed that and it did no good. Change.
Take some nylon and wrap some on a small spool so it is on the bench.
Unless, maybe some hot water and detergent??
Also if it is real hard to pull thought, is your tension too tight??

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:42AM

Using Mono solves the color transfer problem.

I use flo. green Micron fly line backing. No issue with losing color on the wraps and is pretty easy to see. Mono is stiffer and retains an open loop better than the backing material.

Terry

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:48AM

Maybe he can re-ask the question?
I use Berkley FIRELINE, the package says "Smoother than ever! Longer lasting color! Resists fraying! "
It also says it's WORLDS STRONGEST, and The Smooth Handling Superline

Well by reading this packaging , I'd say eveyone should use this line , gee wiz , maybe we should wrap the guides on with it !

Dave :(

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 11:30AM

Does it cook you breakfast??

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 12:12PM

Carrington,
If you go to the drug store in the tooth paste section you will find little loops that are designed to pull dental floss under the bridges in your teeth. They are made of some type of plastic and they work great and will not leave any residue.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 12:13PM

Carrington,
If you go to the drug store in the tooth paste section you will find little loops that are designed to pull dental floss under the bridges in your teeth. They are made of some type of plastic and they work great and will not leave any residue.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 12:33PM

Malin No Kink Boa Wire in 20# test makes pull through loops that last longer than the energizer bunny. I add a yarn tag for color and keep on pulling , and pulling, pulling, pullin, pull, pu........!

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Steve Perakis (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 12:55PM

4X tippet, very slick and slides right out.

Replace with new piece every other guide or so

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster