I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: pull loop
Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 12:55PM

I now use Kevlar thread exclusively-the type you use to yank down on and spin deer hair. One 6-8 inch piece will last a whole rod and I've never had a piece, even a frayed piece, break while pulling a thread thru.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 01:09PM

I use 12 or 20lb Spectra fishing line and they usually last me about a year if I dont lose them first. Also I put a small bead at the knot area so it is easier to pull with.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 01:54PM

I like Emory's idea about the plastic pull loops (he even did as he posted it twice - LOL). Those sound even better - no tying at all and probably keep their shape better than mono or braids. Closed off loops are a pet peeve in wrapping - even more than grinding guide feet. I've gotta try that idea!

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 05:08PM

Stan,
Where do you get that stuff?

Posted by: Tom Erickson (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 05:11PM

I learned from Doc`s video, spectra works real well. I use 30 or 65#, green or white, no breaks, no color trans. I but a bead or small split shot on it to find it. Thanks again Doc.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:06PM

A trick that I learned from Doc Ski is to use some Power Pro line for the loop and tie it to some red beads. The beads help in pulling the loop and makes it easy to find the loop when you lay on the table. I have used the same loop for several rods with no signs of wear to the Power Pro.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (65.171.206.---)
Date: March 27, 2005 08:25PM

8# Power Pro tied to a bead works well for me. As Hank mentioned, I like to stack two on each rod support so they're at hand. The bead makes them easier to find on the floor.

Stan

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dialup.netins.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:03PM

Non-waxed dental floss. I either read that here or someone suggested it.

Posted by: Carrington Tate (---.228.186.10.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:17PM

Wow!!! Have been enjoying the Durango, CO weather with my wife and 22 month old son today, and just checked the forum. Great ideas, thank you very much for the thorough response. I will definitely try some of the ideas above. Great forum! Hope all of you had a great day... i could'nt have asked for better!

Carrington

Posted by: Pat Helton (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:13PM

I use unwaxed dental floss. It is slick and pulls real easy. I use a small red bead which gives me a good grip and it is easy to see laying on the table. It is also incredibly strong.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sequimschools.wednet.edu)
Date: March 28, 2005 10:32AM

Glide dental floss. it's flat, thin, strong and leaves no color. And it's free every time I go the the dentist. He thinks I floss every twenty minutes since I always ask for three or four extra spools.

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.ia4.marketscore.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 12:07PM

I use 10lb white PowerPro. Lasts forever, easy to find, no visible residue. Have 6 loops at least 2 years old. Aloha

Posted by: Larry Laurent (207.191.101.---)
Date: March 28, 2005 01:45PM

20 lb Power Pro, yellow in color. Slick, strong and does not leave any color behind. Works a long time and the yellow is easy to see on the table, unless you are using yellow thread.

Larry

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster