I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turning Chuck?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.171.103.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 26, 2005 11:40PM

Hi Guys
Wher can I find a chuck that I can use on a drill " not the one on mudholes site " 3-4 jaw, light, easy on the bank, with a shaft for use on a drill.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turning Chuck?
Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 12:23AM

Bill

If you find one like that let me know because I am looking for the same thing.....Can't afford a lathe......Yet.

;-]

Derek

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.102.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:42AM

My home made lath works great. It is some thing like the flex coat type. I have an extension so I can do handles on rods. 3 FT long but extends to about 6 FT
Got some wood from Stan Grace that I have to play with

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 08:10AM

Hi Bill,

I posted info on where to get a chuck fir you on another thread before seeing this thread. I don't the info I gave you on that other thread will work for you. Sorry.

Are looking for a chuck that will go into a hand drill chuck? If so maybe you can contact PacBay and see if they will sell you one of their new chucks without the pully attached. Without the pully the shaft on the chuck should go into your drills chuck.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Date: March 27, 2005 08:35AM

Good idea Hank I will shoot them an email and see what I can come up with. Looks like a nice chuck.
Thanks

Date: March 27, 2005 08:39AM

It's a very nice chuck - Worth the money paid. I also do my handles on the rod and that chuck made all the difference.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Date: March 27, 2005 08:58AM

Hank
That looks like the one on MudHoles site? If it is I have it. Could use some customizing?o
The one I have is I think the older one. Wonder what the upgrade is like? Got tocheck there site

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2005 09:07AM by bill boettcher.

Date: March 27, 2005 09:41AM

Bill,

If it's the black one I did not have much luck with that. Kept loosening up at higher speed and there is to much slop in the bearing to be any good to turn handles with. I'm talking about the new PacBay chuck - Silver in color - Cost around $90.00 retail. A litle pricy but like I said before well worth the money. I think with the new chuck and if they would put a bigger motor on their wrapper PacBay would give Renzetti a run for their money.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Date: March 27, 2005 10:16AM

I emailed them to see if they will sell just the chuck Hank. Got to wate now and see what they say.
Don't need all the other stuff

Date: March 27, 2005 10:20AM

That's why I suggested trying to get it without the pully. I think the pully is pressed on. Prob. could pull the pully off but why hastle if you can get it without it.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (65.171.206.---)
Date: March 27, 2005 08:32PM

I put Pac Bay's new chuck on a home built wrapper/lathe and really like the way it works. It's a little pricey but well worth it.

Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster