I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glass Coat Cure Time
Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 26, 2005 11:49AM

Curious to learn the safest, quickest time achieved to tack-free state. I got 2 hours last night by tricking the finish with heat from a light bulb positioned overhead fairly close.
Normally, it would not matter, but I began the process at 9.pm, and wanted to retire shortly after 11, with the dryer off. I don't leave the equipment turning unattended, and I needed the rod done by morning for delivery to a fellow on a Sunday fish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glass Coat Cure Time
Posted by: Jason Van Horn (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 12:15PM

I've read on here where some have built "hot boxes". Basically a long box with a hinged side to put the rod in with light bulbs in to increase heat. It seemed that most guys using it were up north and did it to speed up their drying time during cold winter months (I love gulf coast Texas;-). I've never used any yet, so I don't know how fast you can speed it up

Jason

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 01:18PM

Different finishes take varying amounts of time, even with added temperatures. Building a drying box would help, but I'd still wait a few days before letting a customer fish with a rod I'd built for them, ideally 4 or 5 although I've done it in less. Glass Coat and 1 Coat are some of the fastest set up times, I believe.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 04:45PM

Mix up some finishes and test with finger nail in the aluminum application pan. Rods finished with Glass Coat can normally be be removed from a dryer in about two hours. Glass Coat will be the first one that passes the "hard" test by no indentation. I find that after one full 24 hour period I can usually let a rod out the door that has a topcoat of Glass Coat. I hold on to the Flexcoat and LS finishes until they get hard in the pan. I do not want a rod coming back to me for surface finish scratches due to the finish not being properly cured. I use all three for various reasons and feel that all have a distinct advantage in certain applications. I do not use a torch on the finish in the pan and use no thinners.

Gon Fishn

Date: March 26, 2005 10:11PM

Clarification on the original post, to which no answer has been so far received....
I got the product tightened during those 2 hours, with heat. Has anyone got that time beat, within the safety constraints of not applying too much extra heat. I'm doing other things at present, or I would answer my own question using modern digital thermometers, probes, etc.
I know GlassCoat will set up tack free in about 4 hours with typical room temps. But under 2 hours, here, with no rotating action, it would have sagged. RE: sending the rod out early: It was one guide, not the entire stick. He gave it to me at 8.30 friday night, as he wanted to fishing first thing sunday morning. Tough perogies if he hoops it, as I advised that the resin wants about 3 or longer days to fully set. but, at least it will have 36 hours set time.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.dnvr.qwest.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 02:39AM

It may be a moot point to some,but the finish hasn't fully "cured" in that brief amount of time. I wouldn't think of handing it over before then. But...to each their own.At the very least,the customer should be informed of that upon delivery. Just my two cents worth.
Chuck

Date: March 27, 2005 11:06AM

Fair enough, Chuck, but it sounds like you mis-read the post, if you read it at all:..I'll re-quote..... I ADVISED that the resin wants about 3 or longer days to fully set. but, at least it will have 36 hours set time..... I'd call that a heads-up, wouldn't you?
If a guy hands me a project late, and wants to go fishing early, he's made aware of the risks, and sent out the door, fishing.....To date, not one client has returned a job that went out in a hurry.....in a small town such as this, I know all of them personally, by first name, and it would be certain death, to screw up. Curious to learn how your sports would handle the situation when advised that if they drop off a rod late friday night, for delivery saturday morning, for a trip involving a 120 mile drive one-way sunday, and you tell them nope.... see me tuesday morning...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 02:28PM

I take Glass Coat off after two hours and have never had a sag!

Date: March 27, 2005 04:07PM

Rodger that, Bill.......at chest height, (5 feet off the floor) I read 64-65F. At these temps, this time of the year, sag city in 2 hrs... :-) In the summer, not a problem, as it gets to well over 70 in the shop, if I don't open the windows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2005 04:08PM by Ken Driedger.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 04:36PM

Ken -
You can get a faster cure (for repairs using Glass Coat) by heating the two parts separately in HOT water. The way I do that is fill disposable plastic drink cups with hot water from the tap (about 180 degrees) and leaving the finish in it's original bottles. This will give you a couple of advantages - a thin "saturating" or "penetrating" coat and it will harden (no sag) within the constraints you've given (65 degrees ambient temp). Since my workshop is below grade I have to have a secondary source of heat to keep those conditions almost year-round. Another thing you might try are several coats of PermaGlos . You didn't mention the humidity you're dealing with - but since PermaGlos is a moisture cure finish you might have gotten the same end result with 3 coats (or four) of PermaGlos.

Ken

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster