I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic Thread on Guides
Posted by: Richard Rippe (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 11:10AM

Is metallic thread, size A, strong enough for the main thread in guide wraps, or is it better to use size A thread and decorate with the metallic thread?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic Thread on Guides
Posted by: ralph scaglione (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 11:21AM

I have use both a and d on guide wraps and it is fine

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 11:46AM

Agree with Ralph. I've used metallic for the main wrap on surf rods, no problem.

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 12:28PM

I've used Gudebrod HT A metallic for guide wraps on tuna rods for years and never had a failure, I do put a coat of finish on each layer of thread however.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 12:44PM

Ditto on the rest, Richard.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (63.168.119.---)
Date: March 26, 2005 01:42PM

I have asked this same question before and received the same answers. As a matter of fact I've been told that size A HT metallic actually has a higher breaking strength than size A nylon. I'm about to build a 30-60# stand-up rod with all metallic wraps.

Jay

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 05:12PM

This subject is one of those lingering myths that just won't go away. According to Gudebrod, the break strength on Nylon is 2.7 lbs. and HT Metallic is 3.5 lbs. That would make metallic considerably stronger that nylon. I don't know why this myth about metallic being "weaker keeps coming back. If metallic thread isn't strong enough for guide wraps, than nylon would't be

Mike

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 06:20PM

Mike,

I think the reason that this is still around is that that the epoxy finish does not penetrate metallic thread and the thought is it makes the connection weaker. The gentleman that got me started in rod building told me to never use metallic thread as guide wraps. It was here that I first heard it was ok. I haven't yet wrapped metallic over guides, just use it as trim. For me it's not that I don't think it's strong enough it's I like the looks on mettallic as underwraps & trim wraps, just my taste. I guess it's from being involved with fly fishing and having threads blend into the blank having a mutted look. Someday I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do it.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Date: March 26, 2005 07:54PM

Hank,
Nothing wrong with that! Lots of people don't like the look of metallics and that's fine. I know that this will probably open the flood gates but bare thread with no finish is just as strong as thread with finish (as long as you don't subject it to any abrasion, abuse, etc). The purpose of finish is to protect it against that abrasion, abuse-not to make it any stronger. With or without finish any rod is going to break long before the wrap will give I would really be interested to hear if anyone has ever seen a wrap fail (thread break)Guide pulled out doesn't count if the thread is intact) when there was NO abrasion or wear on the thread! That is what the finish does, protect, not strengthen.

Mike

Date: March 26, 2005 10:29PM

Hank, unless I'm wrong on this, finish doesn't penetrate any kind of thread. It just encapsulates it. Some claim if they really thin the finish it does penetrate and I've been meaning to try that and see, but still haven't done it yet.
It will only encapsulate thread if it's put on while still thin enough to flow out, too. If it's nearing the set up stage, (I've taken guides off that I did this on later) it doesn't fully get all the way around the threads and fill the tunnels, too.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:06AM

Mike: It's not just breaking that can cause a wrap to fail because of the thread. It's also, potentially, stretching, which could loosen even a well-done wrap, so that the guides twist, shift, come out if not security-wrapped. Have no idea if metallics differ from regular thread in that property. (I personally like the look of all-metallic on the occasional surf rod.)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.102.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 08:02AM

If the first coat is thined out it does penitrate better and fill the tunnels. Then a secound thicker coat.
I never used matalic cause I was always afread it would separate because of it ribbing on the eye hooks? Got to try some. Got nice colors!!!

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 08:02AM

Mom,

Mike & Putter picking on me again!!! LOL

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Date: March 27, 2005 01:27PM

Hank,
Gotta pick on someone and you were handy!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: March 28, 2005 01:17AM

...and it was great fun, too!!!
Hope you boys had a great Easter!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster