I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grip Flocking
Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: March 26, 2005 11:10AM

OK....You have my attention here. As I am in the process of rebuilding a rather unique (at least for me) rod, I may as well consider some unique grips for it so I am considering flocking the existing grips. To repeat from an earlier thread. This is a give-away freebie so I want it too look nice but at minimal cost to me. The rod will be painted blue/copper flair, the guides will be Fuji hardaloy, guide wraps will be dark blue metallic with metallic copper trim, and I want black or dark blue grips, existing reel seat is black. This is a first for me in many ways. First color shift paint job, first metallic guide wraps, first "new concept" rod, etc.

I would love a more in-depth and detailed idea about the grip flocking procedure. Any other advice would be welcome as well.

Derek

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grip Flocking
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2005 01:26PM

I would refer you to the RodMaker Magazine article in the Volume 7 #4 issue. This was/is the only article ever done for rod builders on flocking fishing rod grips. It's very in-depth and covers everything you could need to know about the process. The Donjer grip flocking kits came about as a result of this article.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (62.132.1.---)
Date: March 26, 2005 01:40PM

In a nutshell the grip is sealed with color preserver, coated with special adhesive and then flocking fibers are blown onto the adhesive with the mini-flocker gun. Instructions to this effect come with the Donjer kits.

There are a lot of little tips, tricks and ideas that WON'T be in the Donjer kit instructions though and it would take far to long to run them all down for you. I'd get the Rodmaker article by means of a back issue. You won't regret it. Will save you from making the many simple mistakes that many who haven't read the article seem to be making.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 04:50PM

I just did my first few - the article in Rodmaker is a must. Most of the text is also on the Donjer site. Read the article over and over before you start. If your intentions are to only do one or two then the option exists to have them professionally done for only about $ 1.50 per inch. This contact is also listed in the article.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Jason Van Horn (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 08:51PM

What benifits does the flocking serve? I've seen some at a local store, and they seem like they would get dirty and hold it. How durable is it?

Jason

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2005 09:53PM

They won't get any dirtier than any other grip material and flocking is actually more durable than anything else. It can be scrubbed clean, over and over again.

Posted by: Jason Van Horn (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 10:46PM

Thank you,

Jason

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster