I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish on Butt Wraps - How Many Coats
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 08:19AM

Just wondering what the usual practice is. I'm learning to do cross wraps, and am using Flex Coat High Build to coat the finished wrap. How many coats is the norm? And is it considered ok to have "peaks and valleys" (for, e.g., open wraps), or is it usual to sand and re-apply to get a perfectly flat finish?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish on Butt Wraps - How Many Coats
Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2005 08:59AM

I always use two, regardless of finish. One thing coat followed by a heavier coat 24hrs later.

Lou

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2005 09:03AM

It's just a matter of getting what you prefer. I do them all with one application. Others use 2 or 3 or more. Some allow the finish to level to the wrap, others keep putting it on and then sand it flat to level across the rod. It's all just really a matter of personal preference.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2005 09:28AM

When all is said and done, I put 4 or 5 coats. I like to build it up, then when all the threads are covered I sand it down flat, then come back with a final lite coat, applying just enough to cover all teh sanding marks w/o the epoxy "pulling away" and leaving a dry spot. I use a 3-layer tie off, so this also "forces" me to use more epoxy as I'll never be able to do what I do unless I apply that many coats.

When I sand, I'll usually use 220 grit on a sanding block of some sort. I have gone to 180 grit, then 220 for really bumpy finishes, and not once have sanding marks shown up.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 10:32AM

When all is said and done, I put 4 or 5 coats. I like to build it up, then when all the threads are covered I sand it down flat, then come back with a final lite coat, applying just enough to cover all teh sanding marks w/o the epoxy "pulling away" and leaving a {dry spot} What is the cause and cure for the {DRY Spot} ? This is not from a bubble, the finnsh just pulls away and leaves a spot that does not want to fill? Thanks Jay

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 11:35AM

I'm a one coat kind guy as well as a high build kind of guy.

My advise would be to use as many coats as you are comfortable with, however I have seldom found it neccessary to use more than one.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 12:32PM

I like the final finish to be smooth without the bumps and valleys sometimes seen. Usually two or three coats is sufficient and I never have to sand. To get it level I use brush strokes the entire lenght of the wrap, approx 20 or so, after the finish has been applied and allowed to level for several minutes. I usually have weave in the middle of my butt wraps and rarely even put more than 2 coats over the weave to get it level with the wrap. I use Classic coat high build.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2005 12:56PM

Jay - no idea why there are dry spots, my guess is that I didn't apply enough epoxy to the area.

I've tried to use less coats, but with closed wraps & high spots & low spots, it never comes close to ooking how I want it to look. WHen I sight down the rod and turn it, I want it to look like glass. When I try the other ways, regardless of how I apply the epoxy, it neer looks the way I want it to.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 01:30PM

Jay-I would guess that those dry spots that are repelling the finish are small contaminations or fish eyes. You've got something, even oils from your hands, that is causing this. Cleaning the area just before applying finish, then Scotchbriting (make sure the Scotchbrite hasn't been contaminated) is the best way to rid yourself of contamination problems such as this.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 03:34PM

I occasionally get those fisheyes also after the first coat but they always disappear after the second coat

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster