I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

American Tackle Epoxy Problems
Posted by: Ed Fontes (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2005 07:17PM

I have switched from Flex Coat high build epoxy to American Tackle high build because of the faster cure time, American says their product has less bubbles but I find there are many more which I have to heat with my torch,I never had to heat the Flex Coat, just blowing on it removed all of the bubbles, anyone else having noticed this or am I doing something wrong, also are there any other epoxies that cure faster than Flex Coat ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: American Tackle Epoxy Problems
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2005 07:19PM

Glass Coat probably sets up the quickest of them all. Bubbles are caused during the mixing and application process. With a mechanical mixer, you elminate 100% of the bubbles during the mixing phase. If you reduce "brushing" during application, you can elminate most of the ones created during application.

Posted by: russ blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 25, 2005 08:49PM

After you mix the epoxy pour it onto a piece of tinfoil or in an aluminum pan.....Pass your torch over the finish and this will rid you of all the bubbles you caused during mixing..................

Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.pm3-8.pit-ch.pa.localnet.com)
Date: March 25, 2005 10:08PM

I like Glasscoat..a LOT !! Hint..don't be frugal...I mix one batch....do the butt section..get it on the rotator..then mix a NEW batch so it's as thin as it gets, & do the tip section.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: March 26, 2005 06:50AM

Some thing to think about - thick epoxy makes it hard for bubbles to release!!
I use galss coat, but thin it a bit and the bubbles release easy. Also gives me time to do the complete rod

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 12:55PM

The Epoxy Coatings Co's '1 Coat' sets up pretty fast and is extremely good at releasing bubbles. Bingham's carries it. It's real good at self levelling, also.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2005 07:31PM

I bought a Flex Coat 18rpm drying motor and bent the metal support back about 40 degrees. I covered the face with a circle cut from the bottom of a heavy aluminum pie plate. With a Velcro strip on the base and another on the bottom of a 2 oz stainless steel measuring cup I can now attach and release the cup easily. I place a 1/2" steel ball in the cup and add 3cc of Hardener and then the same amount of Epoxy. I run the motor for two minutes plus a some...and voila! not a single bubble no matter what brand, high build or low. Pouring it out into a plastic cover from those potato chips that come in a canister provides a nice depth of material. I load the pointed tip of one of Joe Kassuba's Spatulas and "draw" a line of epoxy around the edges of the thread wrap. Then I load up the flat end and deposit a glob right onto the threads, spreading while the rod turns slowly. The spatula never even touches the thread. I stop the rod and let the excess sag to the bottom. Then, with the flat side of the spatula at an angle, I swipe the excess off fr0om the bottom from left to right as the rod turns slowly. Foolproof and without a single bubble. You can make a motorized mixer instead of investing in the Flex Coat motor. To me it is a good investment and a pleasure touse. I clean everyting off with Isopropyl Alcohol including the steel ball. The dried epoxy is easily removed from the plastic cap which can be used over and over. I hope this lengthy description is helpful to you and others. Epoxy mising and application used to be my nemesis and now it is a joy.
Dave

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 26, 2005 09:23PM

Would a glass marble be heavy enough for the mixer? Otherwise where do you pick up a steel ball?

Bill in WV

Posted by: Ed Fontes (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2005 08:11PM

Bill:
I found all sizes at my local hardware store, up to 5/8"

Ed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster