I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hot shot rod guides/Cascade from Mudhole
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: March 24, 2005 05:08PM

Wrapping a hot shot HS9000 blank I purchased from Mudhole. HS9000-C 7' 6" 1 LT X-FAST 6-15 lb. 5 .52

I've not wrapped a HS blank before, anyone out there wrapped a similar blank and can recommend a spinning guide set to start out with? Figure would make a good seatrout/light flats rod.

Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hot shot rod guides/Cascade from Mudhole
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 10:04PM

Phil,
I have built a number of the HS9000, I assume that you mean the Loomis HS9000. It has a very fast tip so if you are going to make it up as a spinning rod I would suggest that you use the concept system rather than the cone of flight because it will result in smaller and lighter weight guides at the tip. If I were you I would start off by reading the article in the Library above on the concept system, I think that the article is by some yahoo named Tom Kirkman but it does explain the system well.

Re: Hot shot rod guides/Cascade from Mudhole
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2005 12:29AM

It will make a fine flats rod, the blank Emory mentioned is lighter all around, and it worked very well there, even on the bigger species like redfish. Without knowing a whole bunch more about your handle length, reel used, guide brand and type, etc. there is no way to suggest a guide set. That leaves you with Emory's excellent suggestion or the suggestion below which has certain restrictions.
I see your in the military, if your on deployment and have no access to some of the info or parts. If for instance you didn't have a reel yet, or was going to use a reel we could get measurements off of. After some discussions, used all the suggestions you were given, on everything, that could be done. Many of us could just pull one of our blanks and get you real close. I built my first custom rods on long ocean deployments.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster