I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Valuing Bamboo ?
Posted by: Gary McClain (---.org)
Date: March 24, 2005 10:41AM

Does anyone know of a reliable resource/reference for valuing bamboo rods. I sponsor a fly tying club for the kids in our school and 3 have brought in older bamboo rods for an opinion. Luckily (or unluckily, as the case may be) these have all been very rough rods and seemingly the cheaper variety. But I would like to have reference book around if a decent one exists.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Valuing Bamboo ?
Posted by: Kirk Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 12:23PM

Gary,
I am not sure if there is a definative source for that or not. I have a book called "Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook". It has a section in the back of the book that helps some in the valuation of Bamboo rods. It is by no means the "Bluebook" of bamboo. It will give you the ablity to tell how common the rod is, and be able to get an idea of its value from that.

Posted by: Kirk Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 12:24PM

Books author is Michael SInclair

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 12:37PM

Gary,
Book by the name of Antique & Collectible Fishing Rods, Antique and Value Guide by D.B. Homel has a fair section on bamboo and a very good identification and valuation guide in it. It is definitely not the last word but I use both it and the bamboo resoration book mentioned as a sort of guide.

Posted by: Robert Marie (---.in-indianap0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 02:55PM

Greetings Gary,

I know of a collector/dealer in Nashua NH <(603) 886-0411>.

The mans name is Robert Corsetti. I have found the catalog booklet he publishes at something like
twice per year as helpful and interesting a few years ago.

He did charge something for it but I've found that charge to be well worth the usefulness to me.

Includes, mainly, historical and classic bamboo rods and reels in the past. A few blanks also.

Good 'valuing'
Bob

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2005 12:19AM

Gary -
This is a good source of information for valuing a bamboo rod:

[www.bambooflyrod.net]

I will have to respectfully disagree that DB Homel's book is very good for valuing bamboo rods. Perhaps
because it is 'dated' but the values are very "low ball". It is however a good reference for comparative pricing.

Posted by: lane cobb (---.ev1.net)
Date: March 26, 2005 12:52AM

Here is a bamboo value site.
[mysite.verizon.net]

The thrill is not in the kill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster